PDA

View Full Version : Object of the Week, September 8, 2019 - ARP 93, COLLIDING GALAXIES NGC 7284 & 7285 in AQUARIUS

Paul Alsing
September 15th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Object of the Week - ARP 93, COLLIDING GALAXIES NGC 7284 & 7285 in AQUARIUS

R.A.: 22h28m38.0s: Dec.: -24°50'27" (2000)
Size: 2.4'x 1.5'
Magnitude: 11.90 (V); SB 22.5 Mag/arcsec²
Morphology; SB0^0(s) pec (for NGC 7284) SB(rs)a pec (for NGC 7285) - as per NED

Apologies for the late post… I had mistakenly loaded this week into my calendar rather than last week, but Jimi noticed my omission and alerted me, my thanks to Jimi.

Arp 93 is a pair of colliding galaxies in Aquarius, discovered by William Herschel on October 26th, 1785. However, as Dreyer wrote, NGC 7284 is "considerably faint, considerably small, a little extended, mottled but not resolved, double star involved". So, Herschel initially thought of NGC 7284 as a binuclear nebula, supposing the nuclei to be two stars. Later, a note was added to the second Index Catalog indicating "Delete 'double star involved' “. This pair of galaxies are receding at about the same rate, and are both therefore about 210 million light-years distant. Each galaxy has approximately the same diameter as our own Milky Way, roughly 150,000 light-years, so considering that this pair only extends 2.4 arc-minutes across our sky, you just know that Arp 93 is not particularly nearby. Someone observing the Milky Way from a planet in this system might see our galaxy about the same as we see them, but without the 2 cores :)

Since I live in the San Diego, Ca. area, Apr 93 rises only about 33° above my southern horizon at culmination, so it is never going to be any kind of showpiece from here, but nevertheless I was able to discern both galaxy cores and the surrounding halo of nebulosity. Even though it is a small object, it is fairly bright and elongated a little bit. Here is a photo, from the Carnagie-Irvine Galaxy Survey…

Note that NGC 7285 shows a long tidal tail extending about twice the galaxy’s diameter, down to the SSE.

I’m going to go check the rest of my calendar to make sure that there are no other errors there :(

As always, give it a go and let us know.

wvreeven
September 16th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Very interesting objects and indeed a tough nut to crack visually. I have observed it from latitude 40 degrees north in Spain under SQM 21.0 skies with my 20" telescope. My notes read

"At 320x I see two patches of light, which are NGCs 7284 and 7285. NGC 7285 clearly is larger and has a brighter central region."

So apparently I didn't notice an enveloping halo around the two galaxies, nor the tidal tail :D

Uwe Glahn
September 17th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Spectacular object Paul but nearly unknown because of its low position in the sky for Europe. I found three entries:

16", 257x, NELM 7m0+, Seeing V (Austria, 47°N)
both galaxies similar brightness, halo's touching each other, no elongation, no tidal's visible

27", 419x, NELM 7m0+, Seeing II (Austria, 47°N)
bright, both galaxies little elongated, halo's touching each other, no tidal's visible

24", 300x, NELM 7m5+, Seeing III (Namibia, 23°S)
difficult details, inner structure with two lobes connecting both nuclei, stellar spot at the E end of the E galaxy, tidal arm visible as a separated very faint glow 4' SE

MikeWiles
October 30th, 2019, 09:22 PM
Poor seeing and below average transparency from Portal, Arizona on Oct 23, 2019

20" f/3, 136x - Appears to be a single galaxy with a double nucleus, 2'x1' in size. Averted vision shows that there is space between.

20" f/3, 295x - eastern galaxy is brighter, both still pretty faint though. 1'x1' each, stellar cores with obvious space between them.