December 28th, 2019, 08:10 PM
Abell 10

Also known as K 1-7

RA: 05h 31.763m
Dec: +06° 55.95' (2000)

Mag: 15.2 (P)
Size: 34.0"
Mag C. Star: 20.2

The list of planetary nebulae published by George Abell in 1966 in his paper on the
Properties of Old Planetary Nebulae has become the holy grail for many observers
of these objects, once the errors and misidentifications have been taken out. Many
of these planetary nebulae are extremely challenging and questionably visible. Orion
contains five objects listed in the Abell catalogue in Abell 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. Of
these Abell 12 is often covered, although perhaps surprisingly not yet as an OOTW
whilst Abell 11 has been reclassified as a reflection nebula. Of the other 3 only
Abell 10 has been observed reliably. It is actually quite a bright nebula as Abell
planetaries go and it is sometimes referred to as by the name Kohoutek 1-7 as
Lubos Kohoutek was actually the first person to discover it in 1963. This name confusion
can provide some challenges when searching out information on it, and this is perhaps
one of the reasons for it not being as well-known as Abell 12. Distance estimates, as
often for planetary nebulae, are widely variable but Abell 10 is thought to be perhaps 4
kpc away with a large uncertainty. Abell 10 is of interest when studying the chemical
evolution of our galaxy because being almost in the galactic anti-centre position, we can
see how the chemical makeup of the outer parts of the galaxy has evolved. Visually Abell 10
appears as a bright disk and although there is some structure seen internally and the outer
edge seems discontinuous on deep images this is unlikely to be seen visually except with large
telescopes. It appears that Abell 10 is starting to interact with the local ISM which may be
what is giving rise to some of the edge structures. There are not that many good deep
images of Abell 10, even the Hubble archive contains none. This is one of the few I have found http://bte999.jalbum.net/Other%20Images/slides/Abell%2010%20(12%20HA%20&%206%20OIII)%20by%20300s%20SD%20DDP%20Ha-SG-OIII%20crop.html.
Abell 10 does show up strongly in some of the WISE infrared passbands which suggests it contains
a lot of dust. The nebula also shows up weakly in the UV, although its central star is very bright
in those wavelengths, which suggests it is very hot. It will be best seen with an OIII filter at low
to medium powers and perhaps a UHC type filter at higher powers. I have seen it with difficulty
with my 38cm telescope and pretty easily with a 55cm telescope from the UK. There are suggestions
from high altitude sites it may be visible in apertures as small as 20cm with a filter. I think the magnitude
given, which is a photographic one, is vastly fainter than the object actually appears to be visually. There is a
drawing in the recently published Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide which suggests that this may be a target for 12"
telescopes

As always give it a go and let us know. This is of course the last OOTW for 2019 and indeed the last one of the decade.

Raul Leon
December 28th, 2019, 11:51 PM
Hi here's my observation from 12/26/2008 :
Abell 10 planetary nebula in Orion ;magnitude: 14 size: 34" very faint, no central star observed; OIII filter works well on this object; I used a 7mm Nagler at 226x magnification with my 14.5 Starstructure Dob f/4.3 3755

Clear Skies
December 29th, 2019, 07:16 AM
A single observation for this PN, 10 years ago under pristine southern skies.

18 november 2009 - Sutherland, South Africa, SQM 21.79, 11" SCT @ 175x/28'

A round, faint glow. Directly south is a mag. 14 star, three times that distance towards the SW is a mag. 13 star, four times that distance to the NE is another mag. 13 star.

Lumicon OIII: Using this filter the nebula is clear, although faint. A round glow that is subtly brighter in the middle.

Lumicon UHC: The effect of this filter is comparable to that of the OIII filter, but more subtle.

Howard B
December 30th, 2019, 05:46 AM
I have an observation from 2011 with my 28-inch scope:

"Pretty darn bright for an Abell planetary - this is easy to spot at 105x without a filter, and really the best view is with the broadband filter with the NPB a close second. It's a roundish- squarish shape with one side slightly brighter, but not by much. 408x, 21.09 SQM."

Bertrand Laville
December 30th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Hi All,

I have an observation dated from 2008 with a very detailed report here:
http://www.deepsky-drawings.com/abell-10/dsdlang/fr

Clear sky
Bertrand
http://www.deepsky-drawings.com/

Steve Gottlieb
January 2nd, 2020, 05:55 AM
My first observation was back in 1985 but this one was also in 2008 (exactly 12 years ago to the day!) with my 18-inch:

Immediately swept up at 115x and OIII filter as a 30" disc. I was surprised this planetary was easily visible unfiltered at 115x to 220x as a faint, round disc (it could have been discovered visually). The best view, though, was at 225x with a UHC filter. It appeared as a moderately bright, crisp circular disc with a slightly irregular surface brightness. Occasionally there seemed to be an interior sparkle.

Uwe Glahn
January 8th, 2020, 08:24 PM
I copy my notes from my Abell observing project (http://www.deepsky-visuell.de/Projekte/AbellPN_E.htm). So a 4-inch telescope is enough to catch light from Abell 10 when conditions are ok. Here we go Owen.

4", 63x, [OIII], fst 6m5+
not visible without filter, with [OIII] and 44x small spot of light, with 63x more easy and laminar, can hold PN with averted vision, 2' SW very faint star

8", 47x - 80x, [OIII], fst 6m5+
starting with 47x nothing is visible without filter; with [OIII] a small laminar glow is visible; with 80x glow is visible just without filter; with filter glow is round and bright and is visible with direct vision between two 12mag stars

16", 360x, UHC, fst 7m2
bright, also without filter, round disc, [OIII] shows no big improvement, best view with high power and UHC, faint structure, can not hold the structure

27", 419x, fst 7m+
bright disk even with low power; visible easily with direct vision; round disk somewhat mottled but difficult to resolve; good defined edges; CS very difficult but certainly popping in and out of view; dark lane S of the CS, W of it brighter part

sketch: 27", 419x, NELM 7m0+, Seeing IV

obrazell
January 9th, 2020, 01:19 PM
It would be interesting to know a bit more about the site details where you saw Abell 10 with a 4 and 8". Certainly from the UK I find those observations hard to reconcile with my own views.

Uwe Glahn
January 9th, 2020, 08:46 PM
It would be interesting to know a bit more about the site details where you saw Abell 10 with a 4 and 8".
No problem Owen. The place is called "Sudelfeld" and lies at the Bavarian Alpine-foothills at around 1200m above sea level. Sky is not the darkest and noticeable worse than the High Alpine locations. Because of the relative high altitude of the place transparency is much better than every place within Germany.

By the way, at a quick and dirty search I found two other positive observations with 8-inch and one with a 10-inch. No other observation with 4-inch but I will revisit it with my new binoculars when ready build.

Certainly from the UK I find those observations hard to reconcile with my own views
Absolutely plausible Owen. To me it looks like you have to visit us here to go to the much better foothills or better to the High Alpine locations.