NGC 7492
Mellotte 242

Globular Cluster

Aquarius

R.A. 23h08m27.0s
Dec. -15°36'36" (2000)
Magnitude: 11.20
Size: 4.2'

Although the OOTW’s of recent weeks have covered a number of globular clusters for this week
I would like to introduce NGC 7492 in Aquarius. One of three globular clusters in the constellation,
the others being M2 and M72, NGC 7492 was first discovered in 1786 by the indefatigable
William Herschel with his 18.7” Speculum telescope. He described it as extremely faint. It was
also photographed in 1902 by Issac Roberts who required a 90 minute exposure
with his 20" telescope to pick it up and he described it as a cluster of faint stars. NGC 7492 is
an old globular cluster with an age of perhaps 12 billion years or so lying about 84000 light
years from the earth and perhaps the same distance from the galactic centre. As such it
forms part of the group of outlying halo clusters.

The cluster is very sparse and shows two short tidal tails from stars stripped out of it during

its passes through the Milky Way’s disk. In this way it is similar to the better-known cluster
Pal 5 and suggests that there is a limited lifetime left for this cluster before it is totally
disrupted. There also appears to be some form of mass segregation of the stars within
the cluster with the more massive ones towards the middle, which is what you would expect
if the less massive ones have been stripped away. NGC 7492 also lies near two star streams
from the Sagittarius dwarf that is currently being devoured by the Milky Way but the
difference in the velocities of the streams and NGC 7492 suggest it was not part of
that galaxy. It is a very loose cluster, classified as class XII on the Shapley-Sawyer
system, and because of its distance it is difficult to resolve visually into stars.

Observationally this cluster is going to be a challenge, especially from northern latitudes,
because of both its faintness and lack of compact core. It also is not that well known
as a cluster. It is suggested in most of the deep sky references that it may require a
30 cm (12”) telescope to pick up, and even then it may be only faintly seen. Hartung
however suggests that it may show slight signs of granulation through a 30cm but it
needs a really transparent night for this, although of course for him observing from
Australia it would have been very high in the sky When trying for this object
choose a transparent night and try and observe it when it is within an hour of the meridian.
You are also going to need a good southern sky without too much light pollution. If you like
collecting objects on lists then NGC 7492 is also on the AL globular cluster list.

As always give a go and let us know what you see

wvreeven
August 22nd, 2021, 09:08 AM
I think the NGC number if this cluster is 7492. I picked it up with my 15 cm telescope from southern France in 2006 as a faint, round glow.

obrazell
August 22nd, 2021, 11:28 AM
Thanks Wouter, I think dyslexia got in the way. I have fixed this I think

Clear Skies
August 22nd, 2021, 12:08 PM
Two observations for this faint one, most recently in 2018 from northern France using my 14" SCT @ 237x / 21', with the cluster at 23 degrees elevation:

A faint, round glow, even in brightness without use of AV, with AV subtly brighter in the middle. Unresolvable.
To the NW is a somewhat elongated triangle of mag. 9.5 and fainter stars pointing SE, points south of the cluster.

Rated it 2/10.

10 Years earlier, under the pristine skies of South Africa's Karoo desert, using an 11" SCT @ 117x / 35' and 175x / 28', with the cluster at 72 degrees elevation:

24mm Panoptic: A relatively large, faint glow, difficult to recognize as a cluster. Very faintly some stars are visible but it is not resolved. No change with AV.
To the east and the northwest is a mag. 10 star.

16mm Nagler T5: As with 24mm, a relatively large, faint glow, difficult to recognize as globular cluster.

Rated it 3/10.

4418 4419

Click here (https://clearskies.eu/csog/downloads/dsfootw/) to download the observing guide.

Raul Leon
August 22nd, 2021, 09:41 PM
Hi here's my observation from 2003: Ngc 7492 globular cluster in Aquarius : I tried for this object for many years using different apertures, but not until 2003 did I " see " it on a night of good seeing. Using averted vision I noticed a slight oval brightning in the sky, no stars just a brightning, talk about dim. Once I saw it , I have always seen it since, I guess I was just expecting something more apparent. 14.5 Starstructure Dob f/4.3

lamperti
August 23rd, 2021, 12:00 PM
With a 20" back in 2004 at 272x: "Very faint and very small. I could not determine classification."
Back in 1992 with a 13": "Smallest globular cluster ever seen. 130x = hazy stars, 240x = larger but no detail."

Don Pensack
August 23rd, 2021, 10:29 PM
I spotted this on August 6th. Skies were around 21.44 at the time (wide SQM).
I was surprised at how big it was (I had just finished a round of many Aquarius galaxies of 0.5-2' size).
The glow was roundish, and definitely faint in the 12.5" (32cm).
It appeared as a "grainy" haze brightening the field with just a few superimposed stars.
It was definitely lower in surface brightness than NGC147 in CAS, and quite a bit dimmer than NGC5053 (maybe 2 magnitudes).
It wasn't near the limit of the 12.5", though, and visible with direct vision.
Observed near culmination at an altitude of 39.5°, at an elevation of 8350' (2550m)

No wonder it's faint--its horizontal branch is mag.17.6, with its brightest star at 15.5
The size you see depends a lot on your sky. The mag.22.0 isophote shows a 0.3' diameter, while the mag.25.0 isophote shows a 4.2' diameter.

Uwe Glahn
August 24th, 2021, 06:47 PM
I found two entries with very different apertures.

4" binocular telescope: very faint glow with 23x, only visible for seconds each wit averted vision; 55x shows an still faint, but direct visible glow which seems to be somewhat concentrated

27" telescope: magnifications between 113x and 293x shows a faint glow with direct vision, which seems to be only marginal concentrated, fully mottled but not fully resolved; concentrated observation shows around 50 individual stars

Steve Gottlieb
August 24th, 2021, 09:34 PM
Very nice observations, Uwe. Brian Skiff reported his sighting in a 15cm refractor 30 years ago from Anderson Mesa (Arizona), but yours may be the smallest aperture. I first observed the cluster 40 years ago in a C-8 and logged: "very faint, diffuse, moderately large, no resolution. Very low surface brightness for a NGC globular and difficult with this aperture."

In my 24" the cluster is partially resolved: "picked up at 200x as a faint, large, low surface brightness glow with a very weak concentration, 4'-5' diameter. At 375x, a few resolved stars shone steadily and quite a number popped in/out of view consistently. Perhaps two dozen were intermittently resolved, though the surface was too lively (particularly with averted vision) to count reliably. These are the brightest red giant members and range from mag 15.5 to 16+."