PDA

View Full Version : Annular solar eclipse October 14, 2023

Robin
March 19th, 2023, 08:01 PM
Hi everyone,

Do you folks already have any plans for the annular solar eclipse on October 14, 2023? Will anyone of you travel to Utah for this event and combine it with deep-sky observations?

I will travel to southeastern Utah and have already booked flights, rental car and a few campsites. Booking campsites at National Parks and National Monuments ahead seems to be difficult. They can be booked 6 months in advance, but almost all of them are fully booked 6 months from today. But luckily there is the option to do free dispersed camping on BLM land.

From what I gathered, southeastern Utah must be a paradise for deep-sky observations. So I'm really looking forward to this trip.

If anyone can share any experience regarding places to observe at (or places to avoid), I'm looking forward to read about it. :-) Probably I'll travel to Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Natural Bridges National Monument, Capitol Reef National Park, and I'll observe the eclipse at Goosenecks State Park or in its vicinity.

Clear skies,

Robin

lamperti
March 21st, 2023, 08:45 PM
Back in 2011, we were in Bryce Canyon NP for a convention of the Astronomical League. We stayed at Ruby's Inn at 8000 ft. We traveled by car about 12 miles to Rainbow Point for observing, which is at 9000 feet. Large parking lot.