PDA

View Full Version : Object of The Week March 17, 2024-NGC 4753 “Who Scribbled on my Galaxy”

Jimi Lowrey
March 17th, 2024, 07:55 PM
NGC 4753
Virgo
RA 12 52 21
Dec -01 11 58
Type S0 Pec
Mag 10
—————————
The quote “Who Scribbled on my Galaxy” Came from the late Deep Sky imager Rick Johnson. This is what he said when he was processing his image of NGC 4753. I agree with him NGC 4753 is one strange looking galaxy

Rick Johnson image

NGC 4753 was found by William Herschel on Feb 22 1784 he swept up this 10th mag nebula in Virgo. So what is the cause of this unusual looking galaxy? It is thought to be caused by a merger with a much smaller dust rich galaxy over a billion years ago. The interaction twisted the main galaxy and you can see from the images that the ends of the galaxy are distorted.

I first observed this galaxy in 2000 (Wow that was 24 years ago) I was using my old 25” reflector I noted that I could see the single dust lane to the East of the galaxy and also noted that the ends looked disturbed. I can not think of any other galaxy with the appearance NGC 4753 but if you know of any other galaxies like it I would be most appreciative to hear of them.

SDSS image

I would really like to hear of your experiences with this strange “Scribbled on Galaxy” I am most interested if you are able to see the dust lanes. I also have it on my list to revisit after 24 years.

GIVE It A GO!

Good Luck and great observing

Clear Skies
March 17th, 2024, 09:43 PM
Two observations in my log for this galaxy, the first in March 2007 (https://clearskies.eu/astronomy/observing/sessions/sessions2007/11mar2007/) under Dutch skies using an 8" SCT @ 78x / 38':

Quite faint, somewhat elongated east to west, slightly brighter in the middle but no distinct nucleus.

To the northwest is a mag. 12 star.

The second time around, in April 2014 (https://clearskies.eu/astronomy/observing/sessions/sessions2014/23apr2014evening/) from the French Alps using my 12" SCT, I noted some more detail, but no dark lanes. 179x / 27':

Slightly elongated east to west, brighter in a small, round core with a bright nucleus that is visible without AV. With AV the galaxy is slightly more elongated and it is clear that it's slightly flattened on the NE side on a line from NW to SE, giving it a notable shape.

5389 5390 5391

The observing guide can be downloaded here (https://clearskies.eu/csog/downloads/dsfootw2024#11).

wvreeven
March 17th, 2024, 10:41 PM
I observed this galaxy in 2015 with my 20” on a poor night. My notes indicate that I need to revisit this one so that’s what I’ll need to do.

Steve Gottlieb
March 18th, 2024, 01:37 AM
I've observed this galaxy a few times, most recently in May 2018 with Jimi's 48-inch f/4.0.

48" (5/12/18): very bright and large, irregular oval, ~5'x3'. Sharply concentrated with an extremely bright core that increased to an intense stellar nucleus. The halo was irregular, particularly on the east side, which had a tattered appearance due to dusty intrusions.

When Jimi and I discussed the galaxy with McDonald Observatory astronomer Steve Odewahn, he was quite familiar with it and called it the "Evil Galaxy" (or "Evil Eye") due to the twisting dust lanes around the core. He also mentioned the rare I0 classification, which refers to an amorphous irregular.

Here's another observation with my 18-inch back in 2006

18" (5/28/06): very bright, very large, the halo increases to a large bright core. The halo appears irregular in shape with averted vision with a strong impression of a low surface brightness extension on the southeast side and a less-defined extension to the northwest. On images, this distorted galaxy has very unusual chaotic, twisted dust lanes and disc, with a much fainter outer halo inclined to the main body.

-- Steve

Uwe Glahn
March 18th, 2024, 02:42 PM
Had that on my list, too.

Interestingly the galaxy looks totally different in the eyepiece than pictures shows. I roughly noted. 27", 293x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing III: spectacular and large; bright and wildly structured; roughly two twisted shapes visible; two dark lanes indicated; faint outer regions and diffuses edges

When you ask for similar objects with strange dark structures in the middle I think of NGC 2146, NGC 4435/4438 or NGC 7241.

sketch: 27", 293x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing III
home (http://www.deepsky-visuell.de/Zeichnungen/NGC4753.htm)

Jimi Lowrey
March 18th, 2024, 05:10 PM
I've observed this galaxy a few times, most recently in May 2018 with Jimi's 48-inch f/4.0.

48" (5/12/18): very bright and large, irregular oval, ~5'x3'. Sharply concentrated with an extremely bright core that increased to an intense stellar nucleus. The halo was irregular, particularly on the east side, which had a tattered appearance due to dusty intrusions.

When Jimi and I discussed the galaxy with McDonald Observatory astronomer Steve Odewahn, he was quite familiar with it and called it the "Evil Galaxy" (or "Evil Eye") due to the twisting dust lanes around the core. He also mentioned the rare I0 classification, which refers to an amorphous irregular.

Here's another observation with my 18-inch back in 2006

18" (5/28/06): very bright, very large, the halo increases to a large bright core. The halo appears irregular in shape with averted vision with a strong impression of a low surface brightness extension on the southeast side and a less-defined extension to the northwest. On images, this distorted galaxy has very unusual chaotic, twisted dust lanes and disc, with a much fainter outer halo inclined to the main body.

-- Steve

I had forgotten that you and I discussed NGC 4753 with Steve Odewahn and he called it the evil galaxy. I remember him saying it was a most unusual type of galaxy and was of much interest to his advisor Gerard De Vcouleurs

Jimi Lowrey
March 18th, 2024, 05:13 PM
Had that on my list, too.

Interestingly the galaxy looks totally different in the eyepiece than pictures shows. I roughly noted. 27", 293x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing III: spectacular and large; bright and wildly structured; roughly two twisted shapes visible; two dark lanes indicated; faint outer regions and diffuses edges

When you ask for similar objects with strange dark structures in the middle I think of NGC 2146, NGC 4435/4438 or NGC 7241.

sketch: 27", 293x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing III
home (http://www.deepsky-visuell.de/Zeichnungen/NGC4753.htm)

Uwe great suggestion NGC 2146 is one of my favorite galaxies. I like the nickname “Dusty Hand Galaxy”

Howard B
March 18th, 2024, 11:16 PM
I saw this galaxy once, over 30 years ago with my old 20-inch:

"Another elongated, nearly edge on galaxy. Quite bright with one edgemore sharply defined. Very nice, 152x."

I missed all the good stuff!

Jimi Lowrey
March 19th, 2024, 05:11 PM
Deep image of the twisted dust in NGC4753 by Gemini South telescope.