PDA

View Full Version : Object of the Week, March 24, 2024 – Arp 337, NGC 3034 – Starburst galaxy

Howard B
March 24th, 2024, 10:03 PM
Ursa Major
RA: 09 55 52
Dec: +69 40 47
Magnitude 8.4
11.4’ x 4.3’

This remarkable galaxy is better known as Messier 82, and because of that it’s easy to forget it’s also part of the Arp Catalog. It’s one of the brighter objects in Messier’s list, and is often referred to as “Bodes Galaxy” after discoverer Johann Bode, who first came across it in 1774.

What’s most interesting to me though, is that it’s the nearest starburst galaxy at only 11.8 million light years away, and that this activity can be seen when conditions allow.

The most recent starburst activity was probably the result of a close passage to nearby M81 about 100 million years ago, and greatly increased star creation in M82. Previous encounters between the two galaxies had created superclusters of stars concentrated around the core, a couple of which seem to be responsible for the massive polar outflows from either side of M82’s core – this is what Arp, and many other astronomers, considered to be the result of a titanic explosion within the core of M82.

It has since been discovered that supernovae popping off in these super star clusters every 10 years, on average, fuels the polar outflow. They’re easily seen as the dark lanes carving up the core of M82 in relatively small telescopes, but beyond that they’re extremely difficult to see. But not impossible.

During a memorable October 2015 night on Steens Mountain in southeastern Oregon with my 28-inch f/4 scope, the core area of M82 sharpened into a view that was simply astounding.

My notes:

“Holy smokes – all the dark nebulae are lacy when the seeing settled down – amazing sight covering the central half of the galaxy. Never even suspected this before! 408x, 21.47 SQM”

Although I didn’t mention them in my notes, I saw – and sketched - several bright knots near the core, which I later found out to be some of the brighter super star clusters, including the two (A and C) that are responsible for the polar outflows.

5394 5395

You can read more about this observation here (https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/observations/observing-notebook-scans/notebook-1). Scroll about a third of the way down the page for the details, and you’ll find an annotated version of my sketch that denotes the A and C super star clusters.

I’d observed M82 many times before this revelatory observation, and think the difference was a combination of the high altitude (2260 meters) excellent transparency, and steady seeing coming together. There was significant air glow that night though, so conditions could have been even better, but that will have to wait for another, even luckier night.

Give it go and let us know!

Raul Leon
March 24th, 2024, 11:26 PM
Hi, here's my observation from 3/1/2014: Messier 82 galaxy in Ursa Major : mag: 8.4 ; size: 11.4' x 4.3' ; included in this sketch is Supernova 2014J , to the right of the core, which was 11th mag. At the time.I used a 8mm Ethos at 238x with my 14.5 StarStructure f/4.3

obrazell
March 25th, 2024, 07:55 AM
I thought that the name Bode's galaxy referred to M81?

Howard B
March 25th, 2024, 06:21 PM
Yeah, that was a bit of blooper on my part - I often mix up the designations between M81 and M82! Bode discovered both galaxies, and I've always wondered why they aren't referred to as "Bodes Galaxies".

Uwe Glahn
March 25th, 2024, 08:55 PM
My last sketching approach with similar aperture was only under average seeing conditions and dark but no super transparent skies. Especially in comparison to your result Howard it looks like I catch some knots but not in the possible resolution you shows. Definitely a reason to come back.

sktech: 27", 172x-586x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing III (with SN 2014j)
home (http://www.deepsky-visuell.de/Zeichnungen/M82.htm)

cloudbuster
March 26th, 2024, 08:35 AM
Hi everyone, here's an observation from my home country (Netherlands) in Wieringermeer (SQM 21.1) with my 16" Alkaid and Pentax XW 7mm at 259x

Very bright and very large with many immediately visible details. Three dark lanes, of which one is very apparent, are seen perpendicular to the plane. Additionally, there is a dark “notch” just behind a mag 15 star. The core is split by the the thickest dark lane and has a very mottled appearance. Stunning!