Jimi Lowrey
April 22nd, 2024, 04:25 PM
Gottlieb’s Circle
Lyra
18 17 32
+42 10 33
LEDA 2193753 Gx in center
——————————
I bet you are saying what the heck is “Gottliebs” circle. Last May Steve Gottlieb and I were observing together at my West Texas observatory. It was the night after the Texas Star Party ended which is usually a great night when everyone has left.
We were looking for 1 ZW 205 AKA UGC 11185 a merger of two galaxies which is a real train wreck in Lyra. My telescope did not hit on the object and I was slewing the scope around looking for the object. To my surprise I came up on a strange looking circle of similar mag stars with a small faint face on spiral in the middle. The circular of stars framed the galaxy perfectly. I called Steve up to the eyepiece to view this unusual alignment. We both thought it was really cool!
I decided to name this chance alignment after my good friend and observing buddy Steve Gottlieb who was with me that night.

Hope you will check it out!

Steve Gottlieb
April 22nd, 2024, 08:16 PM
Also check out Jimi's post on I Zw 205 (UGC 11185) from 2018: Two More Ring's for Lyra (https://www.deepskyforum.com/showthread.php?1164-Two-More-Ring-s-for-Lyra)