PDA

View Full Version : One premium eyepiece needed

Pawel_T
July 22nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hello Guys,

I'm intending to purchase one premium wide field eyepiece to fill in the gap between Delos 10mm and Pentax XW20mm. It will be used with both my Newtonians, portable 13" and stationary 18", almost exclusively for DSOs . I'm looking at something in the range of 13-14mm. The candidates are:
- Ethos 13mm. Currently pretty expensive in Poland (new), second hand not available. But the praises all over the internet are tempting...
- Explore Scientific 14mm 100deg. Good reviews, according to many of them nearly equal to the previous one. Available in Poland on the second hand market for 450$, new - 640$
- Delos 14mm. I absolutely love my 10mm Delos, it's been my workhorse for DSOs with the 13" Newtonian. Anybody had a chance to look at its 14mm brother at this years Texas Star Party? Is it comparatively good? If so, I'm ready to wait for it until it's available.

It so happens, between 12th November and 14th December this year I will attend a professional training in Houston (Directional Drilling course, I work in the oil industry).
So - staying in USA for 5 weeks - I will have a chance to purchase the eyepiece of my choice a little bit cheaper. Probably 14mm Delos, but is it worth waiting from the DSOs observer's perspective?

Any word of advice much appreciated :)

rmollise
July 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
I use the 13 Ethos, and am convinced this is the best eyepiece I have ever used. However, the 14 ES is also a fine ocular, and you would be very well-served by it! The Delos eyepieces? Not my cup of tea. Since the Ethoses came to town, my Panoptics have sat lonely and unloved in their eyepiece case. ;-)