PDA

View Full Version : Brief Observing report from northern california-GSSP

Newton
July 28th, 2012, 08:58 PM
We recently went to the Golden State Star Party here in Northern Calfornia.
We had great company and a wonderful time. Here is my brief observing report of some of the highlights with my 24”. This was my first view of all of these objects (except arp 29), and is my first observing report.

Abell 39, planetary nebula in Hercules, an easily seen 3’ round disc without using any filters

Double Quasar in Ursa Major, easy to locate since it is close to galaxy NGC 3079, we were able to see it with direct vision as a small faint spot, but unable to split it, in part probably due to its very low position in the sky

Campbell’s Hydrogen Star - in Cygnus– seen in my 24” as well, but with better seeing in a friend’s 24” at 450X, we saw a bright central star( apparently a WR star), a dark space around it, and then a red ring around it, the red was saturated and of a beautiful tint, quite striking. Later when the seeing was less optimal, the ring was not as easily seen.

Abell 70 ( recommended by Jimi) – in Aquila, Planetary nebula in a ring shape, we could see the edge on galaxy superimposed on the planetary going from the lower left to the upper right of one section of the ring. The NPB filter improved the view of the nebula but washed out the galaxy.

Arp 29 ( also NGC 6946)– in Cepheus – Large spiral galaxy, with fat arms, appears “squashed” with little space between the arms.

Arp 117 – in Bootes, 2’ round galaxy with a bright stellar center

We looked for but were unable to see spiral galaxy IC 1296 near m57 in Lyra, in my scope or my friend's 28".

FaintFuzzies
August 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
We looked for but were unable to see spiral galaxy IC 1296 near m57 in Lyra, in my scope or my friend's 28".

Hi Alan,

Great observing report - since I'm traveling - I'll offer a quick hit to one of your objects and comment on the others when I'm able. I'm a little surprised that you guys didn't see IC 1296 under those great GSSP skies. No offense.

IC 1296 is a funny object. It can appear as a very low surface brightness glow or the same LSB glow with a faint stellar core. They key difference is the seeing, if the seeing is steady, the core is actually pretty easy in a 20"+ class telescope. I've seen it many times with my 22". Also missed it under less than pristine skies with my 30".

Lastly, from what others reported to me regarding GSSP sky condition over the 4 nights, if you looked for it on the first two nights, then it makes sense.

BTW, which 28" did you use?

Clear skies,
Alvin

Newton
August 2nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Hi Alvin,

Hope you are doing well. I should have mentioned we looked for IC1296 the last night early in the morning, and the transparency and seeing had deteriorated considerably then, but we still wanted to give it a shot. I expect to see that object well at Calstar. Bob Douglas has a nice 28" f/3.7 Starstructure with Kennedy primary which we looked through. Howard Banich was there with his 28" scope too but I didn't have a chance to go over and say hello. I don't think there were any 30" or larger scopes on the field.

That view of Arp 29 with your old 30" at GSSP years ago is etched in my mind!

Best,

Alan

FaintFuzzies
August 2nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hi Alvin,

Hope you are doing well. I should have mentioned we looked for IC1296 the last night early in the morning, and the transparency and seeing had deteriorated considerably then, but we still wanted to give it a shot. I expect to see that object well at Calstar. Bob Douglas has a nice 28" f/3.7 Starstructure with Kennedy primary which we looked through. Howard Banich was there with his 28" scope too but I didn't have a chance to go over and say hello. I don't think there were any 30" or larger scopes on the field.

That view of Arp 29 with your old 30" at GSSP years ago is etched in my mind!

Best,

Alan

I'm doing quite well, thanks. Iin fact, I'm planning to go to CalStar for the heck of it...for some casual observing and seeing some old friends. Bob Douglas, yes I know of him.

And now it makes total sense - once the skies crap out - IC1296 is probably invisible in any scope except Jimi's. :)