PDA

View Full Version : New Moon Over Calhoun (NEWMOC) Star Party

deepskytraveler
August 8th, 2012, 04:20 AM
NEW MOON OVER CALHOUN (NEWMOC) Star Party
September 14-16, 2012
Calhoun County Park,
4 miles south of Grantsville, WV

As the blazing hot days of summer fade into the gentle, cool nights of fall, stargazers look forward to the "peak" observing season where the nights are long but not brutally cold. Many star parties pick this time for their event, and registrations often fill up well in advance.

For those who want to view under dark skies but were hesitant to make a prior commitment to a specific locale or can't make it in under the registration deadline, there's some good news. A loose consortium of members from various Ohio astronomy clubs has the answer to your dilemma--the first annual "New Moon Over Calhoun" (NEWMOC) star party, held on the grounds of Calhoun County Park, near Grantsville, WV, on the weekend of September 14-16.

Calhoun County Park has been used by members of the Columbus Astronomical Society and the Wilderness Center Astronomy Club, but few outside these groups have been blessed to spend a night under gloriously dark skies. That's something we'd like to change, so come join us for the NEWMOC on the weekend of September 14-16, 2012.

Calhoun County Park is perhaps the darkest spot in the Eastern U.S. that you probably haven't heard of. Spruce Knob and Green Bank gather most of the headlines for observing sites in West Virginia, but a quick glance at light pollution maps reveals a second area of dark skies in West Virginia centered about 100 miles to the west. Skies at CCP can easily push 7th magnitude with the naked-eye, and numerous sightings of gegenschien have been made from this site. SQM readings regularly blow past 21.5, with the Milky Way displaying a vivid tapestry of stars and dust.

This is not an organized event; just a weekend to have a get-together at the park so that stargazers from around the region can see what the site has to offer. There are no vendors or speakers, so there is NO ADMISSION CHARGE for this year. Since this isn't an organized event, there is firm "beginning" or "end". Anyone that wants to check the place out just prior or after the weekend (especially if weekend weather doesn't cooperate) is welcome to do so.

Since this is more of an "APB" rather than an organized event, there are no rules other than plain ol' common sense and standard stargazing etiquette. (i.e. I appreciate "Master of Puppets" like the next guy, but not at 110 decibels when I'm trying to see spiral arms in M74.) The staff does an extraordinary job of maintaining the park with limited funds, so we encourage you to make a donation to the park.

DIRECTIONS:

Here's a Google Maps link and aerial photo of the park:
http://goo.gl/maps/prxU

The park is located a little bit NW of the center of West Virginia. The park sits on a ridge with elevation between 1,000 and 1,100-ft MSL in the hills of the Ohio Valley region of West Virginia. It is 4 miles south of Grantsville, WV, off of SR-16. The lower elevation of Calhoun vs. mountainous sites in WV gives the park a key advantage as a year-round site. Wintertime access is far less daunting than the regions surrounding Spruce Knob and Cherry Springs.

Driving distances from various cities are:

Charleston, WV--71 miles
Columbus, OH--162 miles
Pittsburgh, PA--186 miles
Akron, OH--191 miles
Cleveland, OH--227 miles
Cincinnati, OH--229 miles
Lexington, KY--245 miles
Greensboro, NC--304 miles
Louisville, KY--316 miles
Baltimore, MD--321 miles
Washington, DC--321 miles
Charlotte, NC--326 miles
Indianapolis, IN--337 miles
Detroit, MI--365 miles

For those coming from the west or north, take SR-14 south from I-77 Exit 170 (Mineral Wells, WV) for 14 miles to Elizabeth, then SR-5 east for 27 miles to Grantsville. Once you come to the blinking light in town, turn right (SOUTH) on SR-16 for 4 miles. There is a blue sign saying, "Roadside Park" just prior to the park's entrance; don't let that fool you. This place is *much* larger. Turn left onto Run Road (CR-16/13), and then make an immediate further left turn into the park. There will be a brown park sign with yellow letters. You've found the place.

From Pittsburgh or places to the northeast, take I-79 south to SR-5. Follow SR-5 west for 16 miles to the town of Glenville, then continue on SR-5 WEST for another 20 miles Grantsville to pick up SR-16 south, as per above directions.

From Charleston or places to the south and west, take I-79 north out of Charleston to Exit 40 (SR-16). Turn LEFT (north) on SR-16 and go 28.3 miles to the park's entrance, which will be to your right. A good odometer "reset" point is the Calhoun Middle/High School; the park entrance is 3.7 miles north of the school entrance.

The Barn is located towards the SE end of the park. The open areas of the park are centered on the ridgetops, so there are large swaths of suitable set-up spots at your disposal, including the ball field. There are two pavillions and playgrounds on the ridge to the west of The Barn.

CLIMATE:

The park sits on a ridge with elevation between 1,000 and 1,100-ft MSL in the hills of the Ohio Valley region of West Virginia. It is 4 miles south of Grantsville, WV, off of SR-16. The lower elevation of Calhoun vs. mountainous sites in WV gives the park a key advantage as a year-round site. Wintertime access is far less daunting than the regions surrounding Spruce Knob and Cherry Springs.

Mid-September at Calhoun County Park is a pleasant time of year. Daytime highs usually run in the upper-70s, with nighttime lows dipping into the mid-50s. Winds are generally light, especially at after midnight. Like anywhere in West Virginia, dew can be an issue, so bring your dew heaters.

Calhoun County has very distinct seasons, though not quite as much variation as Midwest locales. Summers are typically in the mid-80s and winters usually top out in the low-40s. Nighttime lows are typically in the low-60s in summertime (though this summer has been anything but typical) and winter nights typically bottom out around 20F. Hardly tropical, but The Barn can be rented for overnight visits.

Snowfall is usually light, averaging around 20" for the entire winter. Calhoun County is not in the mountains, so it is spared the heavy snowfalls that often hit Elkins, Snowshoe and Spruce Knob.

We think this location would be an ideal location for a (future) regional/majorstar party, and we're confident you'd agree with this assessment. Calhoun County Park is not the typical small, rural county park with more "insecurity" lights than acres. Think of the typical 100- to 200-acre metropark that's inexplicably dropped in the middle of nowhere, and you're close. CCP has several ridgetop locations to set up on and has more than enough open space to handle several hundred observers plus their gear, cars and tents. Like Cherry Springs, much of the park is mowed, a huge plus if you're looking for a wayward, dropped O-III filter.

In addition, Verizon cell phone service is reliable, county EMS is just 1/2-mile south of the park, and Minnie Hamilton Hospital is just 5 miles away on the north side of Grantsville. The town also has a grocery store and a sit-down restaurant called "Mom's Place, Too," whose breakfasts will really hit the spot after a long night under the stars.

Year-round access is possible except during the week of deer season in November. The park web site has contact numbers for the park in the event the gate is locked and you arrive at night. First-time visitors are recommended to contact park personnel prior to visiting. The gate is often locked in the wintertime, but park personnel will allow access for stargazers.

The park has an on-site campground, as well as a renovated barn that has been converted into a local community center that is used for events like reunions and weddings. It is unfortunately reserved for a wedding on the weekend of NEWMOC, but those who arrive at the park during the week before (or after) may be able to reserve it. You have to bring your own sleeping bag and pillow, but for $20/night, you can sleep in a climate-controlled environment. This is a *huge* plus if you observe at CCP in winter. For the weekend of NEWMOC, you could use the on-site campground south of The Barn; check the park's website for details.

If you're into mountain bikes, the park also has bike trails weaving through the grounds.

Park web site:
http://www.calhouncountypark.com

Park Clear Sky Chart:
http://cleardarksky.com/c/TWCACBrnWBkey.html?1

We are looking forward to seeing you at Calhoun County Park, and are hoping for a successful NEWMOC this September.

NEWMOC information courtesy of Phil Creed, Wilderness Center Astronomy Club

Bgman
August 9th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Hi Mark,

This sounds like a lot of fun! Ironically, I was planning a trip that weekend to WV for some observing. I will be joining you. I have always wanted to check the site out as I have heard the viewing is very good there. Let's hope the weather plays nice for us all!!!

Will

deepskytraveler
September 12th, 2012, 01:11 AM
The forecast is not looking promising for Calhoun this weekend. However I know that several people from the Columbus Astronomical Society are heading down in the morning for Wednesday night and possibly Thursday night. Unfortunately I'll not be one of them. Hoping that my schedule and the weather will be more cooperative during October New Moon.

Clear skies!