PDA

View Full Version : Barcroft advice

Todd129
August 23rd, 2012, 04:46 AM
Hi there--

I'm looking at planning a trip to Barcroft in the white mountains next year. Anyone have any advice about the best month or experience with this observing site that might be helpful?

Many thanks in advance,

Todd

Steve Gottlieb
August 23rd, 2012, 06:55 AM
Assuming you're talking about Barcroft Lab, in the White Mountains (12500'), you generally have to go with an approved group such as the annual Tri-Valley trip. In general, though, Jul, Aug or Sep will work. But you never know about the weather - it snowed one August day I was there and I believe beautifully clear the next.

Todd129
August 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
Hi Steve--

Thanks for your notes. I actually took over as program director for the Tri-Valley group this year and am looking to plan an optimal Barcroft month for next year--around Yosemitee and H2O events, etc.

Btw I tried for the nebulous objects in Cygnus from your recent S&T article but wasn't able to pick up any of them. I tried at Montebello and at H2O so far :(

Steve Gottlieb
August 24th, 2012, 12:00 AM
I was just up at Grandview and the Patriarch grove of bristlecone pines at nearly 11,000' last week. FWIW, the weather was poor (monsoonal moisture), though last Thursday night we had excellent conditions starting at midnight. When is the trip this year? It's been awhile since I attended the Barcroft star party -- since 1994 or so.

Im not surprised about Montebello, but I guesd depending on the local conditions at H2O, you might need a liitle darker skies for a good view of the Gamma Cygni nebula.

Todd129
August 24th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Hi Steve--

The East Bay club is hosting a Barcroft trip Sep 12-16, and there is a blurb here:

http://www.eastbayastro.org/2012/1208/2012-08.pdf

I shot over an email and haven't heard yet if there is space for me to tag along.

FYI while working on your Cygnus targets I did get a great view of n. america nebula from H2O with my 80 mm finder plus narrowband filter & 21 mm ep (14x). I'm guessing that your targets are a little fainter and probably require a slightly darker site, or a day when San Jose is shrouded by fog.