PDA

View Full Version : New SuperNova in Ngc1365

Marko
November 8th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Observed this SuperNova last night in my 12". Sky conditions NELM 6.0 and sqm 20.35 so not real ideal but fine to see a dot of light near the beast of a galaxy that 1365 is relative to dim ones. My scope limiting mag was about mag 15 per some very nearby stars. Best to wait for this one as it is quite south and rises on the late side so I observed it around 2am from this 2000+ foot local coastal mountain range site. The seeing was not at all bad but some extinction was at play being that low.

The SuperNova appeared as a distinct stellar point directly north of the body of Ngc1365 and well brighter than any part of the galaxy itself. I judged it to be just a tiny bit fainter than the mag 12.2 star that is 9' NW of the galaxy which puts it at dimmer than mag 12. It is quite a bit brighter than the Vmag 13.1 star seen about 1.5' NNW of the core in all pictures of Ngc1365 at 03:33:33.70 -36:07:14.5. The SuperNova is half the distance out from the core to this star but directly north and not NNW like the mag 13 star.

If you like checking out the SuperNovas in the well-known galaxies we certainly have been on a run the last couple years.

A nice and current picture supplied by Greg Bock can be found here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=912008#post912008

Other write-ups are appearing daily on the web.

Marko