PDA

View Full Version : Deep Sky Magazine downloads

Preston Pendergraft
January 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I recently decided to take the plunge and download a copy or two, ones that had articles about globular star clusters. Anyway I have downloaded probably 10 or 12 issues, I download a couple each week or so and read them.

Those magazines are treasure trove of information. Was wondering if anyone used them still since the magazine originally ran in the 1970s till the early 1990s. I vaguely remember hearing about them when I was young teenager interested in astronomy and observing Messier objects and such with an 8in Coulter dob. I have seen collections of these magazines posted to Astromart, and they usually sell pretty quick.

Anyway was wondering what the forum that of them.

KidOrion
January 7th, 2013, 05:13 PM
One of the great resources in amateur astronomy, IMO. I've used the heck out of them over the years; in the pre-Internet days, they were one of the only good sources of info I had access to.

When I first got Uranometria 2000.0 Vol. 1, I was mystified by all the non-NGC stuff. Deep Sky was the answer to that.

I keep mine in plastic sleeves in a couple of three-ring binders (I have all but six issues, and will get/print the PDFs of those as soon as I can spare the money). I'd even buy another set in case something happened to the ones I currently have. Great, great stuff, by many of the leading lights in the hobby.

Marko
January 9th, 2013, 04:13 AM
There are members of DSF here that have written for Deep Sky Magazine. Sadly it was before my time and from the one or two I have been fortunate to view I found it to be exactly inline with the goals of this forum.