PDA

View Full Version : Free Triatlas-C App now available on the App store

nop
January 22nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
Dear all,
My Triatlas C app (advanced star chart based on Jose Torres work, used with permission) for iOS now available on the app store!
It contains the entire Triatlas C chart, navigation (using the black arrows). Adjustable night vision, mirror, flip, rotate.

This is NOT a planetarium app (like Sky Safari). It's a star/sky atlas adapted for smartphone/tablet with some handy features. I've created because i really missed a simple, high contrast star chart.

I will release a universal app (=this app+iPad layout) shortly, it will contain basic search (NGC, Messier) and a memo recorder)

And it's free! https://itunes.apple.com/app/triatlas/id592681081?mt=8

Like it? Please leave a review on the app store. Thank you!

- Stars up to mag 12.6
- Galaxies up to mag 15.5 (PGC). 37000 in total!
- 1200 planetary nebulae
- 1800 open clusters, all globulars
- Others: SH-2, RCW,LDN / Barnard
- Double stars whose main star is brighter than 11th magnitude (35,000 double stars)
- Variable stars whose maximum reaches the 12.5 magnitude (29,000 variable stars)

Dragan
January 22nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Great work Norbert! I'll download it on the iPad immediately and check it out.

Any plans for an Android version?

Clear Skies
January 22nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Nice! Very useful and less paperwork to carry around. It's an iPad from now on. :)

nicoscy
January 24th, 2013, 04:47 AM
A great alternative to lugging out the Triatlas out in the field (did that - not very convenient). I like the simplicity of it. Just maps and nothing else - no complexities!!!

One suggestion:Prepare a table with all the constellations and link this table to the cards that belong in that constellation. The user can then select a constellation (say Sagittarius for example) and be presented with a reduced grid just showing the cards for that constellation. Reason for request: the initial page that has all the grids is kinda hard to navigate due to too many cards showing up in one grid.

Michael Sowell
January 25th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Downloaded it this afternoon, This is a great little APP, Thanks for the heads-up...

Preston Pendergraft
January 29th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Wow this looks really cool. I have the B Atlas already, but having the C atlas as an app is too cool.

One question. Is a universal app compatible with a MacBook? I have the Sky Safari Plus for my MacBook, would love to have these charts as an app for my MacBook as well.

nicoscy
January 30th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Wow this looks really cool. I have the B Atlas already, but having the C atlas as an app is too cool.

One question. Is a universal app compatible with a MacBook? I have the Sky Safari Plus for my MacBook, would love to have these charts as an app for my MacBook as well.

I think it works only on iOS, so no Mac...

nop
January 31st, 2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your kind response!
@nicoscy i agree that the overviews needs some improvement. In fact, im working on that with Jose.
@preston, the app is only for iOS sorry!

Dragan
January 31st, 2013, 10:05 PM
Norbert,

Any future plans to release this on the Android platform?

nicoscy
February 1st, 2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks for your kind response!
@nicoscy i agree that the overviews needs some improvement. In fact, im working on that with Jose.
@preston, the app is only for iOS sorry!

Norbert, don't get me wrong though! It's outstanding as it is! It's just that even the original Triatlas index page was a mess to begin with as the constellations were stretched / elongated to fit the grids and at night it was always a challenge to use the index to find the relevant constellation pages. Hence the suggestion to make constellation grids.

The constellation index table should have for example:

Select constellation: xxx then it should show a grid view of which grids are available, and also a table of which grid corresponds to what RA and DEC is covered in that grid. With that info, the user can then select a grid and see what he/she is interested in.

My two cents but I am not a programmer hence I do not know how challenging this is. I have paid $40 for the full Skysafari App on the iOS store. I consider your work so much better for the purists (which I consider myself as one) who just want simple maps that are easy to use. I would happily pay to get your app on the app store if it had this search function, because then I would use it in the field. As it is, I am more inclined to use my printed maps and use this app at home as a reference tool.

CS,

Nicos