PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Burger

Howard B
July 19th, 2013, 08:36 PM
A couple weeks ago at the Golden State Star Party Alvin Huey had what he called the "Galaxy Burger" in his 22" scope. After checking it out in his scope I tracked them down in my 28". The galaxy burger are three star-like galaxies in a short, straight line, but unfortunately with further research by Alvin they turned out to be two actual stars flanking a star-like galaxy. Nonetheless, it was still a cool sight:

"The galaxy burger are the 3 faint star-like objects in a close, straight line. This eluded resolution because of the seeing but I finally split all three at 605x. This deserves a look when it's much higher up. 21.33 SQM"

In Alvin's 22" I could see all three objects as a faint lumpy line but I couldn't resolve them all as separate components, only the brightest one. When placed near the meridian and in steadier seeing I'm sure they would have been resolved no problem though.

771 772

Steve Gottlieb
July 19th, 2013, 09:49 PM
If anyone wants to track these down, the star on the north end is 16th magnitude and the stellar galaxy (2MASX J16091264+1933007) at the center is V ~ 17.8 (using SDSS photometry). The "lumpy line" of all 3 objects is ~20" in length.