PDA

View Full Version : Dissecting and Sketches of the Veil Nebula

hajuem
October 2nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Hi

Over a year ago, i trie to watch and draw of all components of the Veil Nebula with 16"!!
September 2013,i was able to finish the observations and drawings!
Observation Conditions: Fst: 6m5-7m+
Here the Great Nebulas from the Veil complex:

Here you find the complete Report and sketches of all components:
http://www.astromerk.de/logbuch/2013/187-der-cirrusnebelkomplex.html

Clear Sky`s

Hajü
www.astromerk.de
Germany

Howard B
October 2nd, 2013, 04:27 PM
Fabulous drawings Hajü, just excellent! I hope to draw the entire Veil in the next few years too, and it looks like it will take a lot of time. I only hope my effort compares well to yours.

Ivan Maly
October 3rd, 2013, 12:29 PM
These were great views and an excellent synthesis. I have been contemplating a project like this for some time, but it is rather intimidating.

reiner
October 5th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Hi Hajü,

sketching the entire Veil Nebula is an extremely ambitious project, as Ivan says: "intimidating" :-) But your results clearly show that it is feasible, your sketches are excellent and very detailed.

The image of the complex that you show on your webpage appears to me to be an H-alpha image, which is not the best choice for selecting the areas suitable for observation. There are many OIII images on the web (or can be extracted from narrowband composites), which are more meaningful for us visual observers and in particular for the veil, positions and intensities of filaments vary partly considerable between HII and OIII.

Just one example: East of the long filament south of Pickering's wisp is another long but fainter filament running N-S between the spots marked G and B. It is hardly visible on HII images, but well resolved on OIII images. I know that I tried once to observe it with 20" many years ago, but I don't remember the result :-(

Do you have any plans to merge your drawings in one big composite?

hajuem
October 5th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Howard, Ivan, Reiner!!

Thanks for your Feedbacks!!:D

>which is not the best choice for selecting the areas suitable for observation.

That is correct! The Image of Rob Hawley shows for me de best overview of the complex.

The observation of the components I and J are surprising to me! Since I was not expecting so much.
Similarly, NGC 6974 and NGC 6979!!

>Do you have any plans to merge your drawings in one big composite?
Puhh, it`s a diffult process to merge the drawings in one big composite!
I have to ask Rainer Mannoff!

Lg Hajü
www.astromerk.de

Dragan
October 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Beautiful sketches Hajü!

hajuem
October 6th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Hi Dragan,

Thanks for your nice feedback!

Clear Sky Hajü