PDA

View Full Version : Edelweißspitze - 2 Nights in the Austrian Alps

ChristianR
October 19th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Hey All,

beginning of October Jimi, a DSF Co-Founder, spent some time in Europe. There was the opportunity to have a joint observing session on the Edelweißspitze in the Austrian Alps. It's one of the best places in Central Europe for visual deep sky observation.

Here is the link to a kind of report of it
http://www.licht-stimmungen.de/01_sub_pages_astro/Beobachtungsberichte/2013/Beobachtungsbericht_EWS_2013_en.html

Ivan Maly
October 19th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Excellent observing and a beautiful report. Thanks for providing all the details about the site and conditions.

Jimi Lowrey
October 19th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Hi Christian,

I must say that the Edelweißspitze is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been to! What a place to do astronomy. Connie and I had a great time there it had nice rooms good food and great beer! :celebrate: We hope to come back again for another visit. (Watch out for the FOX)

Vic
October 20th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Edelweißspitze is my favorite place with dark skies and steady seeing. Unfortunatelly it's quite far away... an 8 hrs drive.
Last time we were there in September with my 16" and 5" binoculars and also 12" of my friend. My pessimistic SQM-L showed 21.52 MSA at zenith. For example planetary nebula Jones 1 was easy visible in my dobsonian and central star of M57 even in 12" as well.
We can manage an international astromeeting next year :^]
http://udalosti.astronomy.cz/wp-content/edelweiss_01.jpg

RolandosCY
October 20th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Good idea for an international meeting! if it's in Europe I'm in. Edelweißspitze seems to be a nice place (I have been near it ie to Saltzburg) two times already! At the same time, I am more than willing to invite you guys to come over to my little island as well, we still have wondeful dark skies (to 21.6) and a hotel that is getting the idea of being friendly to astronomers with a 22.00 nights out policy and a great veranda! Plus we can dig further to the south (down to -56 declination) and temperatures in October that hover around 60F at night!

RolandosCY
December 27th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Hi everybody,

From tomorrow morning (28/12) until 31/12 I will be in Salzburg, Austria. From 31/12 in the evening until 3/1 I will be in Vienna, Austria. If there are any fellow deep sky forum members from these areas I would be more than willing to meet up! Send msg if interested...