PDA

View Full Version : Mayall -2 Observing (sketch /report )

sanath
January 2nd, 2014, 07:14 AM
Hello all ,
this report is based on the observation done by me on 29th, 30th december 2013 from Coorg , India , Mayall -II or G1 is the brightest globular in M31 , this was my first time attempt on observing globulars outside our galaxy . i also made a quick sketch to confirm it later .

Instrument used : Discovery 17.5" dob
Eyepieces : 31mm nagler , 10mm delos .

day 1: the globular was seen with the neighbouring star and hence couldn't confirm the object even with 10mm delos.
day2: 31mm nagler showed the two stars , 10mm delos showed the globular between the closely packed star asterism .
few other objects were observed including NGC404 ,NGC2024, Merope nebula , B33 , Deerlick group , Abell 21 , NGC1999,NGC2261,NGC4490,NGC4631,NGC2359,ngc185,NGC 147 , Hubble's variable , HCG44 , HCG57( only one galaxy NGC 3754 was visible ) ,NGC3359 , and few other common galaxies/nebulae .

NGC1999 was a surprise , it looked like a halo around the star in 31mm nagler , upon using 10mm delos with averted vision , it showed the inverted " T " shape , which i later confirmed with a image in Cartes Du Ciel. comments welcome .

Regards ,
Sanath Kumar

vesna71
January 7th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I tried to see him two years ago but I have not succeeded, would you have a more detailed map so I try again?
Thank you!

sanath
January 10th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Hello vesna71 ,
i have uploaded a photo telling how to proceed , it will be easy if you follow the arrow marks and recognise the patterns to star hop. i hope it helps , let me know if you need more detailed charts .

regards,
sanath kumar

akarsh
January 10th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Hey Sanath

The photo seems to be too small. Do you have a way to post a larger picture?

Also, the finder charts I gave you for this observation are from Tom Trusock's Small Wonders article on Andromeda:
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=383

Regards
Akarsh

sanath
January 11th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Hi akarsh ,
i tried attaching the photo , but for some reason the size is automatically reduced after posting , and yes the small wonders charts is what we used .thanks .

regards,
Sanath Kumar

Dragan
January 12th, 2014, 04:44 AM
Sanath,

PM sent

Marko
January 19th, 2014, 05:50 AM
For G1 you should with a fair sized scope be able to see an almost equilateral triangle with one of the 'points' on the east being G1 and it would appear a bit more fuzzy. The finder I have attached is about a half degree so it's not a telrad but it does show the 3 background galaxies just to G1s east if your scope is 16" or larger they make a curious diversion.

Preston Pendergraft
January 20th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I went after G1 back in 2012 for the AL Globular Cluster Program pin. I am an addict for those Astro League pins... but anyway...

The key for me for finding G1 using the 10in SCT was four fold:
1. Good Collimation
2. Good Seeing
3. Highish magnification
4. Knowing the field/location that it resides in

It took me three times to see it for sure with my 10in SCT (saw easily with a 18in Obsession though). There are lots of pictures and charts out there, do some google searching and you can find one to your liking. I looked at a picture of the field so many times while researching G1 to observe over those months that I got to where I knew that field from memory.

sanath
January 21st, 2014, 12:00 AM
Hi all ,
i was curious if anyone here has been able to resolve stars in G1 ? ( is it even possible if seeing is very very good , like in Chile ) .

vesna71
January 26th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks to everyone for the detailed information.