PDA

View Full Version : Halton Arp dies

obrazell
January 3rd, 2014, 05:29 PM
It maybe of interest to members of the forum to note the passing of Halton Arp on 28th December. Noted for both his controversial cosmological theories and of course his catalogue of interacting galaxies so beloved of members of this forum.

May he rest in peace.

owen

Ivan Maly
January 3rd, 2014, 05:35 PM
I did not know... It is a loss to humanity. He was a true knight of science.

Jimi Lowrey
January 3rd, 2014, 06:54 PM
I had not heard the news. I will think of him every time I view one of his peculiar galaxies. He is gone but not soon forgotten!

skyraider
January 16th, 2014, 05:56 AM
He was someone who was not afraid to question "authority" and loved to observe interacting galaxies...my kinda guy. RIP Halton Arp. Enjoy no longer having to bear the cross of crankdom.

Steve Gottlieb
January 18th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Several years ago when Halton Arp was in San Francisco giving a talk to the local astronomy club, I had a memorable dinner talking with Arp and John Dobson (who was a longtime regular at our meetings). With their unorthodox cosmologies and influence on amateur astronomy, what a coincidence they passed within a couple of weeks of each other.

omahaastro
January 18th, 2014, 03:57 PM
First followed Arp having observed/researched Markarian 205 and it's 'connection' to NGC 4319... an intriguing pair.