PDA

View Full Version : Ngc 2750/ vv 541/ kpg 186

Ivan Maly
March 10th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Observing recently in Cancer with my 12" SCT I came across this galaxy that presented a fairly simple visual appearance ("very diffuse", "starlike core"). It turns out that it was cataloged as a galaxy pair (in the VV, MCG, and KPG catalogs), and the small companion (MCG+4-22-12 NED01) west of the main galaxy's center is classified as an Sm. On DSS2 however I see only an enhanced region in the large galaxy's spiral structure:

I am curious if anyone has resolved, or attempted, this bright region (or companion) visually - in a sense the entries in these old catalogs of interacting galaxies that have proved astrophysically erroneous are still a great resource for those looking for structurally resolvable distant galaxies.

Uwe Glahn
March 10th, 2014, 10:23 PM
NGC 2750 could perfectly fit in the "heavy arm" category of the Arp catalog like NGC 7678.

I am curious if anyone has resolved, or attempted, this bright region (or companion) visually
I had - with 16" the brighter and elongated region at the W and a small spot at the N tip was visible.

16", 257x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing II
http://www.deepsky-visuell.de/Zeichnungen/NGC2750.jpg

Don't checked the paper yet if it is a companion or just a brighter arm but at the SDSS it seems to be an active region with lots of blue young stellar clusters.

Ivan Maly
March 11th, 2014, 01:03 AM
That's pretty impressive, Uwe - I need to reobserve this galaxy with 16".

Steve Gottlieb
March 24th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I had a chance to look at NGC 2750 on Saturday night (22 March) with my 24-inch and picked up the slightly brighter, elongated patch on the west side. I agree that it appears to be a knotty, star forming region on the SDSS and not a superimposed companion. I didn't note the small patch on the north side that Uwe noted on his sketch.

By the way, nearby UGC 4764 is an unusual looking dwarf or irregular on the SDSS. This galaxy was surprisingly faint and only the core region was picked up.

Ivan Maly
March 24th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Nice target too - in photos it seems to be of similar difficulty to the enhanced region in the NGC. A naive view of this photographic field might suggest that an interaction between the two was responsible for the peculiarity in both, and they are at a similar distance - 130 and 142 Mly. However both are "KIG" - in the catalog of isolated galaxies.