PDA

View Full Version : Looking for low cost, high-contrast 14mm and 20mm eyepiece suggestions

akarsh
March 31st, 2014, 03:39 AM
Hi

I'm looking for low cost and high-contrast eyepiece suggestions. Since I recently acquired an equatorial platform, AFOV is not a top concern. I really like the University Optics orthoscopics that Alvin suggested. I also like Televue Delos, but that's a bit too pricey for what I'm thinking.

I'd have bought more UO orthos, but they don't have the focal lengths that I want...

Thanks.

Regards
Akarsh

rbak
April 3rd, 2014, 08:00 AM
Meade HD 5000 series. Very well ep.

FaintFuzzies
April 3rd, 2014, 11:05 PM
TeleVue Plossl...I hear that they have much improved coatings in recent productions. I plan to get a 15mm Plossl sometime in the near future to compare to my friend's 16mm ZAO-II and my 14mm Delos.

Preston Pendergraft
May 6th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I second the TV Plossl. One of the best small eyepieces out there.

akarsh
May 8th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all your inputs, Alvin, Preston.

How does the TV 20mm Plössl compare with a Pentax XW 20mm? Field of view is not a very important factor, but is good to have.

Regards
Akarsh

aatt
May 9th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Sterling Plossls-cheap. but light transmission is great. Not all focal lengths are available as they are being phased out. I have the 20mm, 17mm, and 12.5mm, 6mm and 4mm. I especially like the 20 and 17mm for DSO.No regrets!

jskuban
May 18th, 2014, 08:16 PM
IMO the Pentax would win the side by side compared to the TV Plossl with one look. But your questing includes price..so the Plossl may be the better option bang for the buck. Had both of them, went to a Pentax collection until Ethos came out..

rmollise
June 18th, 2014, 01:43 PM
TV Panoptics. Used, they are not overly expensive, and are mucho bettero than a cotton-picking plossl. ;-)

Preston Pendergraft
September 25th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I just got a 14mm UWA 4000 series that I am excited to try out on my new dob. I never used on my LX or Nexstar, but now I am going back to dobs I see it getting a lot of use.