PDA

View Full Version : Confusion with Gomez's Hamburger

Jimi Lowrey
June 1st, 2014, 08:44 PM
One of my guest at my observatory during the TSP last week wanted to see Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211), I had to get the Ra and Dec for it off the web and was surprised that I got several different coordinates for it. I remembered that I had run into the same problem a few years back when I had tried it. Anyone know how to find out the right Ra and DEC or have a finder image of it in the crowded star field? :confused:

FaintFuzzies
June 1st, 2014, 11:25 PM
I have these coordinates

18 09 13.3 -32 10 48

This image confirms the coordinates in DSS

http://www.astrosurf.com/antilhue/gomezhamburger.htm

Here is another paper regarding the object
http://adsbit.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?bibcode=1987ApJ...316L..21R&data_type=PDF_HIGH&type=PRINTER&ext=.pdf

Jimi Lowrey
June 3rd, 2014, 08:52 AM
Thanks Alvin for the Image that will help for sure!

Jim Chandler
June 4th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Saw it last night with no uncertainty factor.The astrosurf images, courtesy of Alvin, made the difference. The excellent pre-dawn skies that prevailed throughout TSP continue. Nine nights in a row and expecting tonight to be the tenth. That's the best run we've had out here at Fort Davis in a long time.

I put the 30" on Gomez's a little before it transited (3:19) and encountered not just good transparency but well above average seeing. The object was detected at 550x (7mm), brighter at 769x (5mm), bright and slightly elongated at 1099x (3.5mm). I wasn't expecting the elongation; a pleasant surprise, as we only rarely encounter seeing good enough to effectively carry 1100x here.

Jim

Preston Pendergraft
June 4th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a great morning Jim.

akarsh
June 8th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Wow. I'm just trying to get back and catch up on DSF. I was going to post this question, Jimi, but you beat me to it.

So, Jimi, is what we saw not the object? Because the astrosurf field looks very different from what I remember.

Clear Skies
Akarsh