PDA

View Full Version : 12" and 73,6" from Germany say "Hi"

Norman
July 12th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Hi folks!

I like to introduce myself a bit for i am obviously new here ;-)

So i´m 34 years old and love astronomy since the age of 9. Yet, i started out with serious observing just at the age of 19 - checking out all Messiers with my 10x50 binoculars while saving the money for something bigger. I roamed around a few years with my 4" apochromatic refractor i sold some years ago. Reason: getting somethin bigger ;-). So i am observing with 12" since 3 years. Not that much aperture in comparison to most equipment here, but enough to have fun with - especially because my observing sites mostly lie 6000 ft above or at the back of beyond ;-)

So my favorite places are within the german alpes. Taking my Dob at the back and in the cabins of mountain trains, i relish the wide views - from top of the mountains and into space.

I´m looking forward to present the one or other observing report and to discuss with all of you. By the way it´s a good chance to get my english reactivated :D

so long...

Clear Skies!

Norman

Ivan Maly
July 12th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Hi Norman,

Impressive experience there. Looking forward to reading your reports.

And I do know what you are talking about - that "spaceship Earth" feeling one gets especially in the mountains.

Uwe Glahn
July 13th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Welcome to this forum Norman.

73,6" seems to be a nice aperture but what does 12" mean? Is it the focal length of your searching eyepiece?

So i am observing with 12" since 3 years. Not that much aperture in comparison to most equipment here
I think most of the members have similar apertures but when they don't write or the active writers uses larger apertures it deceive the most used aperture sizes.

I hope, or better I know you can change this. I'm looking forward to your posts.

Norman
July 13th, 2014, 11:26 PM
OLÉOLÉOLÉOLÉEEEEE !!! sorry, was a must right now :)

Hi Ivan and Uwe,

Thank you both!

No Uwe, the secondary mirror is 12" ;-)

Indeed lots of the members only read here - i will definitely give some input and try to show what 12" are capable of. So thanks for your encouragement and givin´ me the hint onto that site :-)

CU and clear skies to all of you

Norman

Ivan Maly
July 14th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Ole-ole indeed! Congrats to you guys, and wasn't it all great football.

73.6" I gather is the writer himself; didn't notice the post title at first ;)

Norman
July 14th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks Ivan - and "Exactly!" in all points :-)

hajuem
August 7th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Welcome Norman here!!
II look forward to your reports and sketches?!?!?

Here is my current observation of this Ojektes with OII un Hß!
I had never observed this object !! Beautiful object!
HiHiHi 73":shocked:

CS Hajü
www.astromerk.de

Norman
September 2nd, 2014, 07:39 PM
Hi Hajü!

Thank you! When weather finally permitts, there is the one or other sketch coming too ;-) But unfortunately i couldn´t observe anything since almost 4 months... But wait, thats not true, a few glances under mediocre conditions with 16" where possible to me ;-)

CU + CS!

Norman