PDA

View Full Version : NGC 4102 - Details

Norman
April 2nd, 2016, 05:17 AM
Hi folks,

i came across a sketch of mine from one year ago, showing NGC 4102 - a very interesting object.

I could detect some strukture in the core but by far not that obvious as in the sketch. My drawing shows my approach to that struktur which is 70% seen, 30% assumption. Not necessarily must be correct so to speak.

That´s why i am posting this: i am very interested in your observations: what did you see? I am looking forward to your sketches/ drawings in particular and your reply in general :-)

CS!
Norman

akarsh
April 4th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Dear Norman,

This object seems to resemble NGC 4618 as well.

Regards
Akarsh

Uwe Glahn
April 14th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Nice result Norman. My observation was very the same direction - half a ring around the core.

14.5", 283x, NELM 6m0+

As an object in the Rosse spiral list, the galaxy was one of the first few object were as spiral structure was detected trough the Leviathan of Lord Rosse. But he had the same problem than you, he was not absolutely sure about the structure. He took plan B and sketches both interpretation of his observation. Nice idea and the first impression was near the reality.

Norman
April 14th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Hi Uwe,

thank you. The overall structure was obvious to me - more or less. But i am/ was not sure about the structure in the very core... so i am very interested in observations that brought some detail in the innermost region... Good point to mention conditions... my limiting naked eye visual magnitude might have been 7m+ that night.

Akarsh, very right - this gx reminded me too at this object :-)

regards and CS

Norman

Norman