PDA

View Full Version : Skytools Observing Lists for the OOTW

obrazell
May 28th, 2016, 11:05 AM
I am not sure if there is any interest but I have created observing lists for the OOTW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 (so far) for SkyTools 3. If there is interest I guess they could be uploaded to the site for download. The lists have some peculiarities as SkyTools does not recognise some of the designations (VV, CGCG) so they have been replaced with the UGC or PGC numbers.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Owen

wvreeven
May 28th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Good job Owen. Yes, I'd like a copy please!

Cheers, Wouter

Paul Alsing
May 30th, 2016, 01:47 AM
I am not sure if there is any interest but I have created observing lists for the OOTW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 (so far) for SkyTools 3. If there is interest I guess they could be uploaded to the site for download. The lists have some peculiarities as SkyTools does not recognise some of the designations (VV, CGCG) so they have been replaced with the UGC or PGC numbers.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Owen

Sounds like a worthy project to me!

akarsh
May 30th, 2016, 08:38 AM
I would have a use for it, although I don't use SkyTools -- I'm interested in using them in KStars at some later point when I get some time if that's okay with you, Owen.

Clear Skies

Regards
Akarsh

obrazell
May 30th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Sure. The normal export is a SkyTools binary format. I am not sure what KStars is but I am pretty sure it won't read that format so they would need to be exported as something else.

Owen

deepskytraveler
June 4th, 2016, 02:40 AM
Awesome work Owen. I'd like a copy please.

Thanks,
Mark

obrazell
June 4th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Is there a way I can upload them to the site so they can be downloaded.

Owen

Dragan
June 5th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Off the top of my head, I don't think you can, but I'll look into it and report back.

What kind of file format are they?

Is there a way I can upload them to the site so they can be downloaded.

Owen

akarsh
June 5th, 2016, 09:48 PM
Hi Owen

If you want, you can e-mail them to me at akarshsimha at gmail dot com and I'll put them on my server and give a link here.

Regards
Akarsh

skyraider
June 6th, 2016, 05:04 AM
Owen,
This is very exciting!! I use Skytools3 almost exclusively for my observing lists and logging my observations, so I WOULD LOVE to have access to the lists!
My club (Chesmont Astronomical Society) actually got a discount on Skytools3 when we did a group purchase a few years ago, and quite a few of our members enjoy the DSF OOTW, so I'm sure they would love to be able to generate the lists in Skytools3 as well.
Josh

obrazell
June 6th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Ok thanks Akarsh. I have sent them to you. I will see if I can get them on the Webb Soc website as well.

Owen

obrazell
June 6th, 2016, 02:49 PM
An update to this. They can be accessed through the Webb Society site at http://www.webbdeepsky.com/publications/free/

Owen

akarsh
June 6th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Can be accessed here too:
http://www.bas.org.in/~akarsh/OOTW_SkyTools/

Regards
Akarsh

Dragan
June 9th, 2016, 02:40 PM
This is great to see! Thank you Owen and Akarsh!! :celebrate:

nicoscy
July 15th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Owen,

Great work indeed!

I took the liberty of converting the lists to SkySafari format (SkyTools 3 has this export feature) and uploaded them to the SkySafari Group on Yahoo. If anybody wants the lists for SS just send me a message and I will send them over :D

obrazell
July 16th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Worth noting that because of the way SkySafari works it only shows what it has so the lists will be incomplete when used with SkySafari because it does not know about some objects. I think only 45 out of 52 on most of the lists actually show up.

Owen

nicoscy
July 16th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Quite correct Owen!

I'll give it a go this week to find the missing objects on SkySafari and update the lists completely.