Thread: Object of The Week, May,7 2017- NGC 5122 (Swift's Polar-Ring)

Object of The Week, May,7 2017- NGC 5122 (Swift's Polar-Ring)

Hello:

[I am posting this on behalf of Jimi Lowrey, who is currently traveling. The OOTW is entirely his, and I have only done the formatting.]

NGC 5122

Virgo
    RA: 13 24 14
    DEC: -10 39 15

Type S0 Liner

MAG 13.8

NGC 5122 is one of the best examples of the rare type polar-ring galaxy. It was found by comet hunter Lewis Swift on April 24, 1887 with his 16" Clark refactor. He recorded it "vF;vS;R; In finder field with Alpha Virginis"

NGC 5122 POSS II.gif

There is some thought that NGC 5122 might be or have been interacting with the disturb spiral MCG-2-34-45 which is 11.6' North East of 5122. The polar-ring points toward MCG-2-34-45.

MCG-2-34-45.jpg

Recently Steve Gottlieb and I had a memorable view of this unusual galaxy. The core was really bright and looked like an edge on. The faint polar-ring were seen as a short extension with AV. I was surprised that the polar-ring was as easy to see as it was.

So if you want to see a rare type polar-ring galaxy be sure to check out NGC 5122 and...

"Give it a go and let us know!
    Good luck and great viewing!"

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis TX

Unfortunately no sign of the Polar Ring structure with 27-inch under 6,5mag skies.
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Hi Akarsh,

nice object...

"Recently Steve Gottlieb and I had a memorable view of this unusual galaxy. The core was really bright and looked like an edge on. The faint polar-ring were seen as a short extension with AV. I was surprised that the polar-ring was as easy to see as it was."

... with which instrument and under which sky conditions?

However i´ll give it a try...

CS
    Norman
    12" f/ 4,5 - tuned Sumerian Optics Dobson - Nauris main mirror
    - who stands the rain deserves the sun! -

Dear Norman,

This is Jimi's OOTW that I posted on his behalf. So I'm assuming that the instrument was Jimi's 48" telescope, and the conditions were as is typical of skies in Fort Davis. I joined Jimi and Steve for a couple days, but this observation was done before I was there, so I don't know how the skies were.

Clear Skies
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society