Thread: 22in UC owners, Question for you-

22in UC owners, Question for you-

Hello all,

I have a new-to-me 22in UC and I need to practice the set-up procedure.

The original owner told me to "...set it up this way...in this order...but never do..." and with my short term memory, gone with the wind! It is not at all the previous owner's fault. I was with the owner 2 times previously to 'visit' the scope as he put it through the paces demonstrating that it did work. And upon the 3rd time visiting it was just a quick possession then I drove some 11 hours to get it home. So it was kind of rush/rush out of his home.

What I am wondering is if anybody has a "checklist" for the set-up process?

I have a hernia near my pelvic bone and am not able to lift anything for a few months so I can practice the electronic side of the set-up. When I got the scope home I was able to set it up as a 'push-to' scope just to take in some views! Those clouds and the seeing were not conducive to stay out long but was happy to be able to soak up some photons and get familiar with the "altitude cable" wanting to run away from out under the side bearing! It was a quick learn to be able to tuck that cable back under with only two hands! This scope is teaching me patience.

If nobody has this list available, then I will have to fabricate it myself. I am thinking of a checklist methodology similar to the pilots having a checklist for some of their tasks. Also my son would appreciate a routine for the times that he takes the scope out to play. I imagine that I would not need this list after going through the process of connecting all the plugs/wires in after doing it a few 20 or 30 times but as a great football coach used to say, "...perfect practice makes perfect." I am FAR from perfect but I do strive for perfection. While I am down for repairs I can practice my steps without lifting anything over two pounds!OCT18 packed car.jpg

I have a checklist of items to take (or pack up) for star parties. I longer list for the trips to the national star parties, and a condensed version for just driving out to my local viewing site. I live in pollutionland usa, also known as Chicagoland. We have it all (sans forest fire smoke)!!

Thanks in advance,
    Frank

This was packing up for the viewing site visit- wheel chair ramps shownOCT18 ramps.jpg

Frank,
    Hope this post is not a duplicate as I don't see what I posted a couple of hours ago.
    We all have a routine and you will establish yours after several set ups and take downs and you see what works for you.
    Mine:
    - I place a 4'x6' rubberized thick mat down on the grass to keep grass from interfering with the AZ.
    - place the mirror box assembly on mat and remove wheelbarrow handles.
    - place tangent arm with 2 brass screws , not tightly, but loosely.
    - place truss tubes
    - UTA on top of truss tubes
    - wire from powered ground board to UTA
    - shroud part way down
    - place Kydex around primary, then
    - remove cover from primary
    - finish shroud
    - place stalk for Argo Navis and wire it up
    - hand pad wiring
    - install finders, red dot and 10x50
    - power cord to Power Ground board under mat so I do not trip on it in the dark. I have a small hole cut out in the mat for it.
    - wire any dew heaters to finders, secondary and filter slide.
    - collimate secondary and primary.
    - adjust finders on a bright star centered in eyepiece
    - other end of power cord into power supply after all wiring is done to prevent accidental shorting.
    - light for ServoCAT should be on
    - power up Argo Navis
    - wait for beep and blinking red light on SC
    - alignment procedure with AN

I don't have a physical checklist, just rote from doing it often. Try setting up and taking down, both when light and in dark, for practice in driveway

- Most of all, enjoy the views!

Al
    15" f4.5 Obsession Classic
    4" f8.6 Televue 102

Thank you Al. Yes, I am intimidated by my new-to-me toy. I feel that it is just like any big or heavy machine that you need to operate...it is unfamiliar territory until repetition creates my knowledge base...

I should admit here that I did own a truss dob previously and it did have setting circles. I do not want to blow any fuses or short something out! Thanks again