Thread: Object of the Week May 21, 2017 - NGC 4244, The Silver Needle

Object of the Week May 21, 2017 - NGC 4244, The Silver Needle

RA 12 17 30.0
    DEC +37 48 31.0

Mag 10.2 Size 19.2' X 2.1'

Type: Flat Galaxy

This week's OOTW is being composed while observing in Hawaii from the Big Island, at a nice spot on a Forest Service road near the Mauna Kea Visitor Center at about 9000' altitude. A group of us are using a nice new Obsession UC 22" provided by Dave Kriege, and it is a wonderful instrument for this (or any other) location. The sky last night was nice, but not spectacular for this location, and I really wanted to report on an object we viewed last night. The biggest problem is that most of our targets last night were featured in previous OOTW'S, but fortunately NGC 4244 had not been used yet!

The Astronomical League defines a flat galaxy as having a diameter larger than 40 arc-seconds and a major to minor axis ratio greater than 7-to-1, so NGC 4244 easily qualifies as belonging to this special galaxy catagory. Read more here...

https://www.astroleague.org/al/obscl...atGalaxiesClub

In the eyepiece NGC 4244 does not disappoint, it is large and bright, long and skinny, and an absolute delight to see.

Http://tinyurl.com/k55mjox

I would say that the galaxy overall had a mottled appearance that was pretty evenly distributed across its surface, had a stellar core, no discernable bulge, and nice pointy ends, one of which has a nice wide double star superimposed upon it.

As always, give it a go and let us know!
    Paul Alsing
    25" f/5 Obsession
    http://www.pnalsing.com/home

I observed this galaxy with my 6" telescope in March 2004. My notes read:

A thin needle of light, easily recognisable at 51x. I can see two or three brighter patches near the center.

I can contribute a 4" drawing from 2000. I didn't see details in the galaxy. "Ny" stands for West.
    NGC4244.GIF

In the Annals of the Deep Sky the authors mention two compact objects (HII regions / galaxies ?) at both ends of NGC 4244 that have galaxy designations: WR 415 and HS 1214+3801. Did you see them / did you look for them? Hopefully I'll get to check them out this weekend.
    Peter Kiss
    deepeye.hu
    Hungary

Time to go back to Mauna Kea as well as to reobserve 4244. Here is my best sketch so far. Lots of enhanced regions there. 12" mostly at 375x, SQM 21.68.

Last edited by Ivan Maly; May 29th, 2017 at 04:30 PM.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

Hi all,
    nice pick and one of my favorite edge-on galaxies. I've observed it several years ago with my 12"-newtonian at 79x
    4244_2.jpg
    24"-Dobson, f/4.16

Very nice edge on with superthin character. I could detect both brighter regions and the very end of the galaxy with 20-inch.

20", 155x-271x, NELM 6m5+
    NGC4244.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

I don't get here as much as I should... But I've dropped by DSF to gather some objects in other threads for CalStar.

I have not figured out if my efforts are any benefit to anyone other than to me, however I did convert this AL list into an Argo User Catalog. I've done this for several of Alvin's lists as well. And am working on more thanks to his generous sharing of the tables. Tho not all the tables are up to date with his PDF versions. They are still invaluable as a "What should we look at next? And not another Messier!!! "

In this case, when you load the user catalog you'll dial up 'FLT'-CCC where FLT is fixed (mean ALL the entries start with 'FLT') and CCC is the constellation which you dial up normally. So once you get to 'FLT' (or if it is the only user catalog you have loaded that is all you'll see) you can browse by constellation (since all the entries start with 'FLT' you can stay in that 'catalog').

I have just uploaded this to my Argo, so I am confident it works for 3.0.1. Or at least it loads.
    I used a groovy program (groovy is a computer language, as well as a state of mind) to do a simple CSV to Argo transformation.

So the AL Flat Galaxy list is attached. Use your Argonaut program to upload it to your AN. Or the Mac command line program.
    I also have Alvin's Galaxy Trios, Abell GCL's, and his PNebs list as Argo User Catalogs. I've tried to make them such that you can upload more than one and the object prefixes (like FLT for Flat) keep them grouped together. I will work on the VV 1 and 2. Etc...

I should add since this is automated, if there are errors, pls let me know. We can correct them manually and upload the correct file.
    Clear skies!!
    Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gdjsky01; July 26th, 2017 at 05:27 AM.
    Wishing You Clear, Dark, Steady Skies...
    Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach. CA

56cm f/4.2 UC-22 - Not the wisest choice I ever made.
    30cm f/5 Orion XT-12
    25cm f/4.7 DobStuff Dob
    18cm f/5.7 Teleport
    15cm f/5.2 ES Mak-Newt
    127mm f/10 Celestron SCT
    120mm f/7.5 SkyWatcher ED Doublet APO
    101mm f/5.4 Televue TV-101 APO
    90mm f/7 StellarVue Triplet APO
    80mm f/15 Sears Achro
    72mm SkyWatcher ED
    60mm Lunt Ha Solar scope

I should add that all these lists are available in Skytools and it is very simple to upload them to the Argo through this program without having to write your own stuff.

Owen

But then you have to use SkyTools... and I won't get into that here.
    Wishing You Clear, Dark, Steady Skies...
    Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach. CA

56cm f/4.2 UC-22 - Not the wisest choice I ever made.
    30cm f/5 Orion XT-12
    25cm f/4.7 DobStuff Dob
    18cm f/5.7 Teleport
    15cm f/5.2 ES Mak-Newt
    127mm f/10 Celestron SCT
    120mm f/7.5 SkyWatcher ED Doublet APO
    101mm f/5.4 Televue TV-101 APO
    90mm f/7 StellarVue Triplet APO
    80mm f/15 Sears Achro
    72mm SkyWatcher ED
    60mm Lunt Ha Solar scope

DSP 7 does the same type of thing if you don't like Skytools rather than writing your own stuff. Saves you writing your own code and reinventing the wheel. Also make sit easier to share information you have done.

Owen