Thread: Object of the Week, June 11th, 2017: The elliptical dumbbell NGC 4782/3 (VV 201)

Object of the Week, June 11th, 2017: The elliptical dumbbell NGC 4782/3 (VV 201)

NGC 4782 and NGC 4783 (= VV 201, 3C 278, MCG-02-33-050)
    Corvus
    RA: 12 54 36
    Dec: -12 34 07
    Magnitude: 11.6, 11.7

This unusual pair is an example of a dumbbell galaxy pair, defined as a pair of galaxies “in which two separated, approximately equal, nuclei are observed in a common envelope.” (Matthews et. al., 1964). Moreover, the fact that this is a pair of elliptical galaxies makes it even more unique.

Here is an image of the object from the PanSTARRS survey:
    VV201_3C278_PanSTARRS.gif

William Herschel discovered this pair on March 27th, 1786 (Steinicke). There is some confusion regarding the designation of the two galaxies. According to Harold Corwin, William Herschel catalogued both galaxies with a single designation, whereas John Herschel and Dreyer have distinguished the two in the NGC. The modern day designation is consistent with increasing RA, assigning the northern component NGC 4783 and the southern one NGC 4782. However, there is still potential for confusion and exchange of data between the two galaxies.

Research suggests that the pair forms the dominant members of a cluster of about 40 galaxies, presumably lying beyond the Virgo cluster given the higher redshift.

The asymmetry of the light from the galaxies, amongst other things, indicates that the pair is not an overlap, but has suffered some tidal interaction. Simulations suggest that the galaxies have had a recent fly by with one simulation (Madejsky and Bien 1993) estimating that the closest approach happened 13.5 million years before observation and another (Borne et. al., 1988) placing it at about 25 million years. The latter simulation suggests that the encounter caused energy loss from the motion of the galaxies into the motions of individual stars, that turned the hyperbolic orbit of the galaxies into an elliptical orbit -- they predict that the group will fly apart and then merge again after about 800 million light years if undeterred by other interactions.

Below is the path of the galaxies on the sky as inferred by Borne et. al., taken from their 1988 paper:
    Trajectory_on_the_sky.gif

The radio source 3C 278 has been identified with NGC 4782 (Baum et. al. 1988), a peculiar radio jet of which seems to be a subject of controversy (Madejsky 1992).

Observationally speaking, Steve Gottlieb has reports with 8” and 17.5” aperture, and Rich Jakiel lists an observation with a 20” in his book with Steinicke.

Here is a POSS II image of the object:
    VV201_POSS.gif

I observed this object with my 18” in April 2016 from central Texas. My notes read: “Bright, nice contact pair. Great views at all powers.” and “It was a very nice pair, bright and easily found.”. The cores did appear disjoint in the eyepiece unlike the overexposed POSS II image. Jimi has observed this with his 48” and says that the cores appeared disjoint as well.

This is an unique, yet bright and easy object and should be fun for all apertures! As always…

Give it a go and let us know!

This is my first OOTW, so Jimi Lowrey helped me with several suggestions, and I want to thank him for them!

(On a side note, the closest morphologically similar object I could find in my internet research for this OOTW was NGC 750/1. This paper tabulates some interacting ellipticals.)

Clear Skies
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Interesting information, Akarsh. Here is my description from what I remember as "The Night of 200 Herschels" earlier this year: "Touching pair, S component brighter." 12", 230x, SQM 21.85.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

Good Object and great information.

You do not see E type galaxies in the act of merging often.

The last time that I looked at NGC 4782-3 they were clearly separated with a FF tidal bridge between them that was DV. Cool Object!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Cool object Akarsh! I have one observation from 2003 with my old 20" and I'll put this on my list to re-observe in the next week or two. Here are my notes and a tiny sketch from 2003:

"Very nice! Two galaxies that nearly touching - both about the same brightness. A faint star completes a triangle. 413x."

N4782_4783_crop.jpg N4782_4783_cropinvert.jpg
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Nice pair Akarsh.

I found a sketch with 8-inch (main mirror) and even with this aperture a nice catch. And you are right, I first remember the NGC 750/751 pair when I saw the pictures.

8", 229x, NELM 6m5+
    NGC4782_NGC4783.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Thanks akarsh. At GSSP in Northern California (which starts in one week) I will check it out. Looks interesting and unusual.

Bob Douglas

Here's another challenge for jumbo-sized dobs -- while observing the pair with Jimi's 48" on April 21st at 813x, I noticed an extremely faint "knot" on the northwest side of the halo of NGC 4783, perhaps ~5" in diameter. I wasn't positive this was a galaxy until checking NED, which lists it as [QRW96] 073 and HyperLeda (PGC 5065968). The NED designation refers to a 1996 paper by Quintana, Ramirez and Way "Spectroscopy of the NGC 4782/3 Dumbbell Dominated Group of Galaxies: Dark Haloes and Merger of Subgroups" (1996AJ....111..603Q). This object is 20" northwest of center of NGC 4783.

LEDA 5065968.jpg
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel