Thread: New DSO: Nick's Cascade

New DSO: Nick's Cascade

Everybody is familiar with the impressive Kemble's Cascade in Camelopardalis, a "waterfall" of stars leading to open cluster NGC 1502. But does anyone know "Nick's Cascade"? well, probably not, as I guess it was only "discovered" last Saturday evening. Here is the discovery story:

Last Saturday evening, in spite of rather mediocre transparency, fellow DSF member NicosCY stopped by my home for some casual deep sky observing, using the 18" Obsession and my FS128. As conditions were bad, we concentrated on easy to see objects, at the time I was using the 18" to trace NGC 281 in Cassiopeia, while Nick was observing the Double Cluster in Perseus. Suddenly he screams: "Hey, there is a nice stream of stars flowing from the Double Cluster to another big cluster (turned out to be Stock 2). Indeed, the "stream" or "cascade" was impressive, and until that moment I had never noticed it myself, despite countless observing sessions on the DC and Stock 2. We were mesmerized.

Nick's Cascade begins with the 8th magnitude star SAO 23130, then on to 7 Persei of 6th magnitude, followed by several star from 6th to 8th magnitude: SAO 23154, SAO 23143 (8 Pers), SAO 23108, SAO 23101, SAO 23103, SAO 23044, SAO 23048, SAO 23034, and SAO 23023 (and some others without SAO designations in between), this being the last star before Stock 2.

You will need a wide field of at least 2 degrees, and preferably something more than four to really appreciate Nick's Cascade. But it is a wonderful sight once you see it.

I did check my deep sky observing books and found no reference on the cascade, neither did I find any mention of it during some internet searches on either Double Cluster or Stock 2. Yet, I find it hard that such a bright gem has remained nameless. So, since Nick Kountouris "discovered" it last Saturday night, I find it appropriate to call it "Nick's Cascade".

I will try to sketch it as soon as practical. In the meantime, checking charting software the cascade is not so obvious, nor it is in many photos (although it is extremely noticeable visually). But I did find a nice photo by New Forest Observatory (http://www.newforestobservatory.com/...er-in-perseus/) that shows it well. Please give it a go next time you are out and let us know what you think!

double_stock_nfo.jpg
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

Well, I didn't quite scream, but there you have it
    Takahashi FS-128
    Astro-Physics Stowaway 92 (paid the deposit!)
    Sky-Watcher 72ED
    Borg 55FL

How wonderful! I also looked at this just last night as I was checking to make sure I placed the optics in Judy's 8-inch f/3.3 scope in their new tube correctly. It stands out remarkably well in a wide field instrument, and there's a nearly as obvious but shorter trail of stars on the other side of the Double Cluster - like whiskers.

I don't know if the longer stream already has a name or not, but I think an "excited exclamation" would be totally justified when first seeing it!
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Nice catch Rolandos and Nicos! Are you familiar with the Deep Sky Hunters group? They aim to search for unknown deep sky objects and also keep track of asterisms like this one. Perhaps you can contact them and ask if this asterism is known? You can join the group by subscribing to their Yahoo group. The email volume is low. Only a few emails per month.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.
    Here in Europe we say you've discovered America! :^)

Hello Wooter. I will contact them. It seems really strange not to be a known asterism.
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

Here in Canada, this object has been known and remarked upon for many years. My observing friends and I have always thought of the chain of stars as a stem and Stock 2 itself as a flower head. No one here ever thought to give the star chain a name.

I’ve seen at least two published references to this chain of stars. The first, in Skiff and Luginbuhl’s “Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep Sky Objects” (1990), states (under the entry for Stock 2): “This extended cluster (Stock 2) is easily found at low power in 6 cm by following a curving string of stars for 2° N from oc 869 (h Persei, q.v.).”

The other is in O’Meara’s “The Secret Deep” (2011) in the article on Stock 2: “Visible just north of the cluster’s (Double Cluster) westernmost member (NGC 869), you’ll find a 1.5° long ellipse of about a half-dozen 6th magnitude suns; the two most obvious of which are 7 and 8 Persei, just north of NGC 869.”
    Last edited by Ciel Extreme; September 20th, 2018 at 07:11 PM.
    Mark Bratton
    18" f/4.5 Litebox reflector (travel scope)
    22" f/3.3 SpicaEyes Slipstream reflector (LittleTime Observatory)
    25x100mm binoculars
    “The Complete Guide to the Herschel Objects” (CUP 2011)

Hello Rolandos,

and thank you very much for the nice capture!
    This asterism is my favourite when str hopping from the Double Cluster to the St 2.

As being an aged star hopper, I have quite a few asterisms in the night skies, which help me on my way with the big binoculars.
    Possibly also less known are the bent ropes of stars of the Cepheus OB3 Stars Association pointing towards the Cave Nebula.
    Nice chains of stars are also around St 12, The Nanette's River.
    In Cygnus I would be often lost without having "my private" asterisms.

Clear skies,
    JG
    Clear skies, JG

Main field of interest: Large galactic diffuse nebulae

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel Extreme View Post
    Here in Canada, this object has been known and remarked upon for many years. My observing friends and I have always thought of the chain of stars as a stem and Stock 2 itself as a flower head. No one here ever thought to give the star chain a name.

I’ve seen at least two published references to this chain of stars. The first, in Skiff and Luginbuhl’s “Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep Sky Objects” (1990), states (under the entry for Stock 2): “This extended cluster (Stock 2) is easily found at low power in 6 cm by following a curving string of stars for 2° N from oc 869 (h Persei, q.v.).”

The other is in O’Meara’s “The Secret Deep” (2011) in the article on Stock 2: “Visible just north of the cluster’s (Double Cluster) westernmost member (NGC 869), you’ll find a 1.5° long ellipse of about a half-dozen 6th magnitude suns; the two most obvious of which are 7 and 8 Persei, just north of NGC 869.”
    I've also known about it for a few decades. An early reference goes back to the mid-19th century! In Reverend T. W. Webb's Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes (1859), he mentions that from the Double Cluster in Perseus "follow the curve of the stars north which leads into a glorious region." The "glorious region" is Stock 2. Sounds quite a bit like Skiff and Luginbuhl, actually. Or vice versa.
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; October 5th, 2019 at 05:38 AM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel