Thread: "Rie" Catalog?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kid,

Interstellarum lists two sources for their OC in their introduction,

Dias, W.S. etc. New Catalog of Optically Visible Open Clusters and Candidates (2012)
    Kronberger, M, etc. Galactic Open Cluster Candidates, 2006

While searching this second title I found this article https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/pd.../aa4057-05.pdf

It lists several OCs by David Riddle -- which might be shortened to "Rie" -- including Riddle #4. There is a Rie 4 plotted in Interstellarum (along with a Rie 11 & 14). I don't have my atlas with me to check the coordinates, but if Rie #4 is plotted in Interstellarum at the coordinates given in the paper: 02 07 22.7 +60 15 25 -- then Rie = Riddle

As noted in the paper Riddle posted his finds on DeepSky Hunters Yahoo Group.

Edit: Just saw your post, did you have a typo for your coordinates for Rie 4? Cassiopeia is 23h - 3h RA? -- so the paper coordinates look like a match for Riddle = Rie?
    Last edited by Mark McCarthy; August 31st, 2017 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McCarthy View Post
    Kid,

Interstellarum lists two sources for their OC in their introduction,

Dias, W.S. etc. New Catalog of Optically Visible Open Clusters and Candidates (2012)
    Kronberger, M, etc. Galactic Open Cluster Candidates, 2006

While searching this second title I found this article https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/pd.../aa4057-05.pdf

It lists several OCs by David Riddle -- which might be shortened to "Rie" -- including Riddle #4. There is a Rie 4 plotted in Interstellarum (along with a Rie 11 & 14). I don't have my atlas with me to check the coordinates, but if Rie #4 is plotted in Interstellarum at the coordinates given in the paper: 02 07 22.7 +60 15 25 -- then Rie = Riddle

As noted in the paper Riddle posted his finds on DeepSky Hunters Yahoo Group.

Edit: Just saw your post, did you have a typo for your coordinates for Rie 4? Cassiopeia is 23h - 3h RA? -- so the paper coordinates look like a match for Riddle = Rie?
    Mark--you're absolutely right; that was a typo (and should've read "02h" as opposed to "20h".)

I think Al is right--mystery may be solved!

Thanks for the detective work!

Edit: What's ironic is that I have that paper already on my computer--it was very helpful with the Kronberger and Teutsch clusters as well--but I dismissed the Riddle IDs for some reason. D'oh!
    Last edited by KidOrion; August 31st, 2017 at 07:25 PM.