Thread: Nearest Planetary Nebula

Nearest Planetary Nebula

Traditionally NGC 7293 was thought to be the closest planetary nebula to Earth and then the discovery of SH 2-216 (Hewitt 1) took away its crown. Recently I saw Sh 2-216 described as the second closest planetary to the earth but cannot find any indication of what (if anything) deposed it. Does anyone have any information on what maybe the closest planetary to the earth if Sh 2-216 is not?

Owen

Quote Originally Posted by obrazell View Post
    Traditionally NGC 7293 was thought to be the closest planetary nebula to Earth and then the discovery of SH 2-216 (Hewitt 1) took away its crown. Recently I saw Sh 2-216 described as the second closest planetary to the earth but cannot find any indication of what (if anything) deposed it. Does anyone have any information on what maybe the closest planetary to the earth if Sh 2-216 is not?

Owen
    Hi Owen,

Well, Sh 2-216 is in Perseus while Hewitt 1 is in Sextans, and their distances are very comparable, although with a considerable range of uncertainty.

Perhaps it is Hewitt 1 itself that might be the closest PN!
    Paul Alsing
    25" f/5 Obsession
    http://www.pnalsing.com/home

Hm the most recent observations suggest that Hewett 1 is not a planetary nebula but a general ionised nebula, possibly associated with PG 1034 +001. I suspect this may be w wild goose chase based on older data.

Owen