Thread: Heinze 2-10,

Heinze 2-10,

I reobserved this unusual galaxy last month (8 Feb 2018) with my 24-inch and thought I'd post this observation. I'm not sure whether its been on OOTW (it should be!) or discussed here in the past. I'm curious if others have observed this starburst before?

He 2-10 (Chandra & Hubble).jpg

He 2-10 = ESO 495-021 = AM 0834-261 = MCG -04-21-005 = PK 248+8.1 = PGC 24171 = PGC 24175
    08 36 15.2 -26 24 35
    V = 11.6; Size 1.7'x1.3'; Surf Br = 12.4

He 2-10 is a dwarf starburst galaxy in Pyxis. Wikipedia covers some of information on the galaxy, but its black hole weighs in at a couple of million solar masses. That’s only half the Milky Way’s, but the dwarf itself weighs only a few percent of the mass of the Milky Way. A 2015 study by Cresci et al, titled "The MUSE view of He 2-10: No AGN ionization but a sparkling starburst" studied "the physical and dynamical properties of the ionized gas in the prototypical HII galaxy Henize 2-10 using MUSE integral field spectroscopy. The large-scale dynamics are dominated by extended outflowing bubbles that are probably the result of massive gas ejection from the central star forming regions."

This galaxy is listed in several galaxy catalogues including ESO and the Arp-Madore catalogue of Southern Peculiar Galaxies, but it was misclassified as a planetary nebula by Karl Henize in 1967 and was included in the Perek-Kohoutek planetary catalogue as PK 248+8.1. Looking at Henize's table, I notice that Rudolph Minkowski apparently reported it earlier as a planetary (unpublished), due to emission lines.

Interestingly, this object was discovered visually 78 years earlier by E.E. Barnard on 4 Feb 1889 using a 12-inch refractor at Lick Observatory. He recorded in his logbook "Sweeping [for comets] east of Sirius, I find a very small, bright round nebula not in NGC. It is preceding a 7th mag star, which I will use to compare it with." The comparison star he used was mag 6.8 HD 73335 and his notebook sketch at 150x matches the sky. The sketch shows shows a bright star at the east edge of his field, a star close west of He 2-10, a very faint star at its east edge, and two star close northwest and northeast. For whatever reason, Barnard never published the discovery or passed along the discovery to Dreyer, otherwise it would have an IC designation!

24" @200x and 375x; fairly bright, fairly small, slightly elongated NW-SE. Contains an unusually bright core for a small galaxy, perhaps 20" diameter, surrounded by a moderate-sized halo, ~35"-40" diameter. A mag 14.5 star is at the east edge of the halo and a mag 11.5 star is 1.5' W. He 2-10 is located 11' W of mag 6.8 HD 73335 and 24' SW of mag 5.25 Eta Pyxis.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Steve I observed He 2-10 last night. Richard Jakiel in a recent Sky&Telescope artical talked about this unusual star burst galaxy. He mentioned that it was strong in the O-III line and he had observed it with a nebula filter and got a good response. This got my attention! as you know galaxies rarely respond to filters and I wanted to give it a go and see for myself.

I found the galaxy and bumped up the power to 488x and noted unfiltered it had a stellar bright core and a fuzzy halo I then put on a NPB filter and was surprised that the core of the galaxy got a good response to the NPB filter. The outer halo was dimmed down but the core really lit up to my amazement. This is a really cool and unique object.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Hi I'm fairly new to this forum. I can't resist a good galaxy hunt. I have a 14.5 Starstructure dob and am gonna try for it next new moon, think I gotta chance? The v mag doesn't seem to be outta my limit so I'm gonna give it a go. Thanks for posting, Raul *** ps is the correct spelling Henize?
    Last edited by Raul Leon; March 23rd, 2018 at 12:57 AM.
    Raul Leon
    14.5 Starstructure Dobsonian f/4.3

http://thestarsketcher.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Leon View Post
    Hi I'm fairly new to this forum. I can't resist a good galaxy hunt. I have a 14.5 Starstructure dob and am gonna try for it next new moon, think I gotta chance? The v mag doesn't seem to be outta my limit so I'm gonna give it a go. Thanks for posting, Raul *** ps is the correct spelling Henize?
    Yes, Karl Henize. Astronomer and astronaut. Died in 1993 while climbing Mt. Everest.

Just give it a try and let us know, as we say here. Too many variables (such as the quality of your site) to really predict the visibility but glad to see another Starstructure user!
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

I was curious as to whether I logged this one as a galaxy or planetary so I checked my observing archives. I saw this galaxy on 12 April 1991 from northern Vermont with the 13.1 inch Odyssey 1 and recorded it as a galaxy with its MCG designation. That's great because now I don't have to edit my observing log. Even though it was fairly low on the horizon from that latitude, the skies were dark enough to allow an easy view of the core, which has a high surface brightness that reminded me of a small, compact elliptical galaxy.

Scan0684.jpg Finally got to see this galaxy on 4/13/18, small;fairly bright; slightly elongated; observed brightening towards the center but not sure if it was a star or HII region, there was mottling throughout the object. The galaxy was seen easily even in low power. Attached is a sketch of my observation, hope it comes out, not sure if I did it right. I used a 4.5 mm Delos eyepiece with my 14.5 Starstructure dob f/4.3 352x magnification Thanks for posting this Steve G.
    Raul Leon

Nice drawing Raul did you try a nebula filter on the galaxy?
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Hi Jimi, you know that didn't even cross my mind. I forgot that earlier on this post you noticed a difference with a NPB filter. Don't normally put filters on galaxies, but I forgot this isn't your typical galaxy. Raul
    Raul Leon

I got the chance during the last new moon trip to Namibia to catch the object under nearly perfect conditions (transparency and seeing).

My goal was to separate the inner structure. I incorrectly remember the inner clumps as young star clusters instead of [OIII] sensitive gas clumps, so I missed to use nebula filters.
    The inner structure was separated into two main clumps, which could divided into two more peaks. The right clump was the brighter one. The HST picture shows the whole galaxy with the two clumps and the fainter ejections.

28", 1248x, NELM 7m5+, Seeing II
    ESO495-21.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2