Thread: 18" CZ optics at LaPalma

18" CZ optics at LaPalma

-As the Sweden sky is so terrible and I has been observing at LaPlma on the Canaries I'm thinking to storage the scope down there, and maybe rent it out.
    It's not that far from me going there vs a real dark sky and observe in nice weather.
    LaPalma is a small island ( 35 by 15 miles ) at 28N and 250 miles west from Africa’s western side in the Atlantic.
    Highest point is Rogue at 2.400 meters.
    I would say it might can be at Bortel 1/2 and SQM readings in average would be 21.7 and best off at +21.9.

Plans might be a house there down the road on winter time.
    But as I'm 51 now it's some years to go.

The scope will has a brand new CZ f/4 in quartz at 32 mm edge thickness and a 4" diagonal in 1" thick quartz.
    The 18” size is fast & fun to use and need no ladders for most people.
    It’s a fast set-up and cooling is ’rather’ fast.

A aerospace company has done a FEM/FEA drawing on the mirror cell in super Invar steel ( that has the same ppm/C as quartz )
    Chassies is in welded chrome molly ( will be Very stiff ) and a Astro-Device 'push-to' and a Telrad searcher.
    ( It might be a Siderail system on it vs control vs high magnifications )
    I has the complete Ethos series EP ( 21 down to 3.7 mm ) and the Nikon HW EP ( 17/14 & 12.5/10 mm ) plus a TV Powermate x2 and a TV Paracorr 2 and a Moonlite 2" focuser whit Astronomiks filters.
    For collimation the Cat Eye AC and Glatters laser/tublug at both 2" and 1.25".
    Big fan ( from a car radiator ) for cool-off.

Plus a Zeiss 2060S bino on a Gitzo tripod and a Bushnell 42 mm at 8X.
    The Zeiss is a fabulous bino on certain object’s and the 42 mm is a good searcher.

A good place for observation is at +2.000 meters not far from the observatories.
    I had SQM-21.92 last December but Island can has turbulence and calima, and the city Puntagorda will effect light pollution at west, so I think the place is at Bortel 1, maybe near Bortel 1/2.
    I also noted after 3 years observation there in December that at west it is almost in a haze.
    I might also has a place at 1.100 meter east of Tijarafe on a very nice terrace and observation can also be done decent outside a ( rented ) house.

As far as I know there are no equal telescope there to be rented out.

As just for fun of it I might be rent it out ( whit me included )

Just curious, how should that sound from hard core visual observers go there and rent a scope/equipment like this at 2.000 meter and a pick-up from airport and sleeping & breakfast deal under a new moon period.

-Would that be a interesting thing for anyone - just to look more into it ?

What would it cost for a week in ex a party of 2-3 ?

Island has a very nice climate year around and very nice nature for trek etc and the fun visit the observatories.
    Atlantic wievs.
    Roads are small and curved but overall decent and ok.
    There is a good airport, and there are not so much tourist there and many nice restaurants and local red and sweat white wine.

So a great place for observing and relax and late breakfast whit ocean wiev and plan next night observing.
    Last edited by Hakann; March 28th, 2018 at 11:06 AM.

Hakan
    there are many people renting telescopes on La Palma for visual observing already and a number of astronomy setups there. It is very popular amongst the German amateur astronomical community.

This would just be one example athos.org

Owen

Adding to that, many Dutch astronomers go to La Palma to observe. Some of them take their own travel dobs but perhaps they could be interested in renting an 18" dob as well.

Wouter

Idea is more just for the fun when observing there myself as scope might be stored there.
    As I been there myself several times I know what can be rented, and the fuzz to bring in own stuff.
    Never heard of Zambuto optics there in a high engineered scope.
    Great to just go to airport and rest is fixed. But maybe to few are into a solution like that.
    1 week will has it’s price of course.