RA
    14 04 25.9
    DEC
    -17 13 40

Planetary Nebula

Size 54.0"

Mag 14.9 (P)

Central Star 17.9 Mag

The Texas Star Party begins today so I thought I would Pick a object from the TSP Advanced Observing list "Anything Abell" by Larry Mitchell.

Abell 37 is a nice PN that has a green color in my scope to my eye. Its a nice change from all the Galaxies in Virgo.

Abell 37.JPG

So the next time you are galaxy hopping in Virgo remember this nice PN for a change and,

"GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW"

GOOD LUCK And GREAT VIEWING!
    Last edited by Jimi Lowrey; April 15th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Hi Jimi,

I had a look at Abell 37 at last years GSSP, and think that was first time I've seen this nifty planetary. It's surprisingly bright and well defined for an Abell planetary and showed well even without a filter. A DGM and OIII filter made the nebula brighter but didn't bring out any detail. I didn't see the central star and found 253x gave the best view. The SQM was 21.63 at the time, and was the darkest reading I got that night (July 1, 2011).
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Hi Jimi,

please tell us what you exactly saw with your 48".

I took a longer observation on IC 972 a few month ago at La Palma (28° N) with a 20". With 321x + UHC I could detect a better defined E edge with a little break. The middle was a little bit darker. At the NW I could see a faint spot, maybe the faint star at the edge through UHC? I could not see the CS. I made a sketch with the 20"

Could you detect the CS and how easy do you saw the star at the NW edge?

IC972.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Alvin Huey is here for the Texas Star Party and we looked at Abell 37 Monday night with the 48" with below average seeing.

Best view was with a 10MM ZAO II 488X with the NPB filter. The central star was popping in and out and is a little off center. Uwe's sketch looks very much like the view with a slight brighting on the edges. With out the filter the foreground star on the edge was direct vision. VERY Nice Planetary ! "GIVE IT A GO"
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

On the night starting on 4-30-2011 later at 1:23am in my18" at 278x (7mmNag) and NPB filter at a 2000 foot site but a poor night there with NELM 6.2 and SQM reading 21.35 I wrote this (SteveG: You were also there with the usual 'gang' at DSR)

Abell_37: NPB filter. 1/20fov [1'] Easily seen as an averted only small object. No central star detected. Diffuse fairly even glow with non defined edge but brighter in the center.
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

A quick reference: IC972.jpg
    I have yet to observe it though, it doesn't rise above 21 degrees from my location..!

30” f/4.3 (222 and 314x) – This Abell planetary is considerably bright and round. It has a slightly irregular and sharp edge. Estimated size is about 40” across its even surface brightness disk. No central star was seen. Best seen at 222x and O-III filter.

Abell37.jpg
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    faintfuzzies.com

Hi here's my observation from 4/4/2011; Abell 37 is a planetary nebula in Virgo; magnitude: 13.9 size:43"x40" roundish , faint, UHC filter works well on this object ; no central star observed; I used a 10mm Radian eyepiece at 158x with my 14.5 Starstructure Dob f/4.3ic 972.jpg
    Raul Leon
    14.5 Starstructure Dobsonian f/4.3

http://thestarsketcher.blogspot.com/