Everybody is familiar with the impressive Kemble's Cascade in Camelopardalis, a "waterfall" of stars leading to open cluster NGC 1502. But does anyone know "Nick's Cascade"? well, probably not, as I guess it was only "discovered" last Saturday evening. Here is the discovery story:

Last Saturday evening, in spite of rather mediocre transparency, fellow DSF member NicosCY stopped by my home for some casual deep sky observing, using the 18" Obsession and my FS128. As conditions were bad, we concentrated on easy to see objects, at the time I was using the 18" to trace NGC 281 in Cassiopeia, while Nick was observing the Double Cluster in Perseus. Suddenly he screams: "Hey, there is a nice stream of stars flowing from the Double Cluster to another big cluster (turned out to be Stock 2). Indeed, the "stream" or "cascade" was impressive, and until that moment I had never noticed it myself, despite countless observing sessions on the DC and Stock 2. We were mesmerized.

Nick's Cascade begins with the 8th magnitude star SAO 23130, then on to 7 Persei of 6th magnitude, followed by several star from 6th to 8th magnitude: SAO 23154, SAO 23143 (8 Pers), SAO 23108, SAO 23101, SAO 23103, SAO 23044, SAO 23048, SAO 23034, and SAO 23023 (and some others without SAO designations in between), this being the last star before Stock 2.

You will need a wide field of at least 2 degrees, and preferably something more than four to really appreciate Nick's Cascade. But it is a wonderful sight once you see it.

I did check my deep sky observing books and found no reference on the cascade, neither did I find any mention of it during some internet searches on either Double Cluster or Stock 2. Yet, I find it hard that such a bright gem has remained nameless. So, since Nick Kountouris "discovered" it last Saturday night, I find it appropriate to call it "Nick's Cascade".

I will try to sketch it as soon as practical. In the meantime, checking charting software the cascade is not so obvious, nor it is in many photos (although it is extremely noticeable visually). But I did find a nice photo by New Forest Observatory (http://www.newforestobservatory.com/...er-in-perseus/) that shows it well. Please give it a go next time you are out and let us know what you think!

double_stock_nfo.jpg