Thread: Hi all

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi all

Hi everyone,

Let me first tell this, this sites rocks! Just readed a couple of topics and they were all awesome, nice to see some really big deepsky-names on this forum.

A few things about myself: I'm living in the Netherlands, not a perfect place for Deepsky, lots of lightpollution and the weather isn't that great either. I'm 17 years old, owning a 8 inch newton on a Skywatcher HEQ-5 mount. I also own a 3 inch refractor, that I take with me if I go camping on a mountain in France, Italy or Crete. I'm in this thing for almost four years now and still enjoying it like it is my first session.

Although I only have a 8 inch, I hope to learn and discover some great Hidden Treasures here.

Luuk,

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Welcome to DSF Luuk!!

Remember this Luuk. Deep Sky Forum was developed to help all observers push they're skill set, no matter the size telescope they use! Our goal is to make everyone a better observer.

Thanks for signing up!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Hey Luuk,

What's your regular observing site? Mine is here http://www.clearskies.eu/en/observin.../locations.htm (Dutch link: http://www.clearskies.eu/nl/waarneme...s/locaties.htm). We're not that far apart, may be able to team up for a session one day (night).

Cheers,

Victor
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.

Thanks, cause I'm a student, I'm now renting a room in Tilburg. Till last year, I lived with my parents in Terneuzen, where my telescope is still located. This way, I got nothing in Tilburg.

I'm planning to go to the observatory of Halley from time to time in the next few months. They are very active, don't know if you know them?

I was a member of Halley for a year, back in 2005 if I remember correctly. After a year's membership I still had to meet another member who actually owned a telescope. Seemed like their only activities were visits to other "observatories" where they look at telescopes instead of through them. Also, as a member you do not get regular access to their main scope, as they are open only a few days every month. Clouded out? Tough luck. In addition, they have yet to take the "M" out of observing, if you know what I mean, despite them having been around for quite some years already. That and the fact that they spent 120.000 euros (that's no typo, its about 150.000 US$'s) of European Union grants on a mediocre plantarium and a new kitchen... Imagine the astronomy equipment that kind of money can buy. I'll leave it at that.....

Anyway, my usual observing spot is almost literally a stone's throw away from that "observatory". I have spent many nights there and observed virtually all DSO's the Dutch atmosphere allows in combination with a 12" SCT, along with plenty of carbon stars and (Struve) double stars. Details of these observations on my website.
    Speaking of my observations, most are still in Dutch. I will resume translating them to English once I have more time, which will hopefully be later this year. The few sessions I have translated to English were in 2011. Should anyone be interested, they can be found at http://www.clearskies.eu/en/observing/reports/2011.htm, midway through the page.

Should you like to visit the observing site, keep an eye on my Twitter. I'll tweet when I plan to set up my scope.
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.