Object of the Week - Feb 17, 2019 - Andromeda's Parachute

Object of the Week –
    Andromeda’s Parachute - J014709+463037
    Gravitational Lensed Quasar
    R.A.: 01h 47m 09s
    Dec.: +46° 30' 37"
    Magnitude: 15.4 – 17.7 (R mag)
    Apparent Size: 3.8”
    Distance: Pretty far, about 11billion light years.

I picked Andromeda’s Parachute for my first OOTW on my way back into the fold for two reasons. It was the highlight in my observing in the last couple years and I haven’t made it out since I rejoined the rotation. I had something in mind in Ursa Minor, but decided on this one as it is still up in the NW skies and winter nights tend to be nice and steady for something we need super steady skies to even have a chance to get a good look at it.

Most gravitational lensed quasars are typically pretty tough, with the exception of the Double Quasar in Pegasus, which is doable in a 12” scope. For this week, let’s take a look at Andromeda’s Parachute. It was recently discovered in 2017 and Wouter was kind to share this object right here on DSF. A week or so later, I ran out to one of my observing sites at 7,600 feet above sea level and took a shot at it and was surprisingly easy to find and see, but challenging to resolve. I was able to pick off two of the four points of light.

My notes are as follows:
    At 690x, it immediately appeared as an elongated star, but when the seeing steadied, it popped into two individual points (A & B only). I was not able to repeat seeing C (saw it only once), so not confirmed. I most certainly did not see component D.
    My observing buddy confirmed that he saw the elongated star in the same orientation as I saw it, but he did not split the “star”.
    The condition is typical for this site and seeing was fair (3/5) and transparency was good (4/5), but deteriorating as the smoke started to cover parts of the sky. I will re-observe this object several more times as it was only 20 degrees above the NE horizon when we looked at it.
    22: f/4 with 6mm Zeiss ZAO-II with TMB 1.8x ED barlow

Pretty cool object, especially thinking what I was looking at.

For a finder chart and rest of details, check out my site. http://faintfuzzies.com/OR-Jul022017-SR.html

Having said this, you will need steady skies and high magnification, at least 600x.

"Give it a go and let us know"

PS: I did'nt post any pictures as I don't have privs to do so at the moment.
    Last edited by Dragan; June 30th, 2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Corrected coordinates
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country