Thread: Galaxys 1 mj LY observed from Sweden

Galaxys 1 mj LY observed from Sweden

I read from a observer in Sweden he observed from his yard ( class 4 region ) in central Sweden at darkness ( SQM-21.7 ? ) over 20 galaxys over 1 mj LY away.
    He was 1.8 on one mj LY at MCG +4-28-97 in Abell 1413 (Leo).
    He could not really see it, but almost, as detected mag V~16.6 stars and this was in a China Newton 12".
    -I think he seen mag 8 stars in Chile before.

Me, I has not seen a star almost this whole year and I live some hours north from where he observe, and I'm in a class 3 area.
    Last time I observed was at LaPalma in December last year, and I had it dark but seeing was very poor and used 25" ( same deal 4 year in a row there )
    One Sweden guy is there now at LaPalma and it's been clouds, and he go to top each night.

I always said, Sweden is not for astronomy, but this observer now show how good it can be at a class 4 area.
    Amazing.
    It might not be a dark area, go high and has big diameter and classy optics !
    Last edited by Hakann; April 1st, 2019 at 03:43 PM.

Sometimes an observer can have a more acute view than others, that is proven by experience, as people who are assiduous observers, not in the details with large openings, age and visual acuity is important in this hobby.

Roberto.
    http://dibujodelcielonocturno.blogspot.com

16'' F/4
    Refractor 4'' AP Traveler az DM4

I spend several hours just days after he put it out in the UAA clubs ( outside of Uppsala/Sweden ) new coated 18” f/4.5 Newton. Just try to get after the ( PGC 41121 )
    This scope is in a dome not far from where the observer is located at the same Bortel area.
    We used my Ethos EP and the scope track perfect.
    We was totally dark adopted and big experiance are here in visual observing in the club
    One told me before it was a worthless project for normal people as he know this observer to be a very good observer.
    We had the SQM lower but how this observer could had same or better SQM than up at Roque LaPalma is over my knowledge in that area ( central Sweden close to several bigger citys ) but anyway after hours of try get after that one and 2 other simular objects we had to give up.
    I had to drive 5 hours, but idea was to see if there was anyway a ’chance’, but NO. ( last chance observe in Sweden vs the summer sky )
    Maybe another time, but at the club it was told we need a better darkness and more app.

-I will not give upp as try it in my CZ 18” whit Delites EP in darker sky later on.

I found it amazing in a non tracking 12” China Newt in that Bortle area that’s for shore !

I guess some has way better vision than others but darkness and 6” more app will gain I hope to see it later on !
    Last edited by Hakann; July 5th, 2019 at 08:31 AM.

I took the last session yesterday in clubs 45 cm Newton.
    Weather has been clear but this is not a very dark site as close to bigger city, but one can get SQM readings at 21.3-4 at good nights ( I had on my SQM-L ) inside the dome and pointed my arm as high as I could straight up, and high readings at 21.45.
    This is Sweden at 60 degree.
    Seeing was Ok.

As the failuare last year ( on this object ) and before so I bought a Delite 7 mm, so we had 285X ( f/4.5 and no coma corrector )
    I tested also both E21, E13, E10 and E6 mm and Nikon HW 17 & 14 mm.
    It's easy reaference stars there.
    But it's no galaxy there.
    We was 2 observers and we spened allot of time and was dark adopted totally.

If one see them at same SQM ( Botrle ) and ex a 12", it must be with very sharp eyes.

I'm not give up, as apertute needs to go up ;-)

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/si...=SIMBAD+search

Hank you should try for IC 1101 it is a super giant galaxy one of the largest known. It is also one of the brightest Billion light year class galaxies. It was found by 17 year old Edward Swift. IC 1101 is well placed now in Virgo Mag 13.7.
    Last edited by Jimi Lowrey; April 22nd, 2020 at 06:36 PM.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Jim,
    I saw IC1101 last year in April in that Newton scope.
    As I know this 1.8 BLY PGC37477 is seen from the same area in a 12", I like to see that to as I has more ap.
    This scope track perfect and was last year on fresh coatings and it's collimated and no coma corrector.
    Best SQM last night was 21.48.
    But I was in the Virgo for some hours and had fun, but main idea was see thjat galaxy !