NGC 5248, Caldwell 45, UGC 8616, MCG+02-35-015, PGC 48130

SAc C, Galaxy in a group of galaxies

Constellation: Bootes

RA: 13 37 32.069
DEC: +08 53 06.22

Visual magnitude: 10.2
Dimensions: 6.2' x 4.5'

This galaxy is bright enough to make some people wonder how Messier could have missed it. As most of us probably know, Messier actually observed comets and only happened to come across (what we now know are) deep sky objects when a comet would pass by them. Apparently no comet ever came close to NGC 5248 so that's why Messier didn't observe it. And the fact that Messier didn't observe it was a good excuse for Sr. Patrick Moore to add this galaxy to his Caldwell list of objects.

N5248s.jpg
Image taken from Wikipedia

NGC 5248 is a beautiful spiral galaxy for which astronomers seem to disagree on its actual type. Simbad classifies it as SAc C (quoted above) however NED classifies it as SAB(rs)bc with (R)SB(rs)bc and Sy2HII as alternatives. So, they all agree that this is a spiral galaxy but whether it has a bar (B) and/or a ring (r), it is compact (c) or even a Seyfert galaxy (Sy) is not exactly clear. What do you think?

NGC 5248 is the main member of the NGC 5248 Group, which also contains UGC 8575 and UGC 8614. The NGC 5248 Group itself is one of the so called Virgo III groups. The Virgo III groups are a chain of galaxy groups that extend from the Virgo cluster.

viriii.gif
Image taken from Atlas Of The Universe

This arguably is one of the most direct and obvious ways of seeing clustering and filaments of galaxies in the sky. Plus it is a great resources of relative close by galaxy groups which should keep you busy for a few nights if you plan to observe them all.

My observation notes of NGC 5248 from May 15, 2015, using my 20" telescope are rather limited since I observed it at a night of poor seeing so I couldn't use a high magnification. Still, I was very much impressed by this galaxy:

"At 151x a beautiful oval glow with a stellar core. The core is embedded in a globular glow from which two spiral arms run away. Spectacular."

As always,

"Give it a go and let us know!
Good luck and great viewing!"