Object of the Week June 2nd 2019, K 1-14

Kohoutek 1-14

Also known as PN G045.6+24.3, PK 045+24.1

RA 17h42m36.8s (2000)

Dec +21°27'02" (2000)

Size 47”

Mag 15.10

Mag CSPN 16.1

Whilst examining the POSS prints in 1963 Lubos Kohoutek discovered a number of new planetary nebulae and this
    object in Hercules was number 14 in his first list. The objects were classified based on their shape and relative
    brightness’s on the red and blue plates. K 1-14 is a rather nice ring shaped planetary nebula with limb brightening
    and some internal structure. If the central star is the blue object then it is no longer in the centre of the nebula
    and this could be because K 1-14 is thought to be an old planetary nebula starting to interact with the interstellar
    medium as it ages. The local ISM is slowing down the expansion of the nebula but the star is not affected and is
    moving away. ). K 1-14 is surprisingly bright in the GALEX ultraviolet images which suggests it may be quite a high
    excitation nebeula, which would be at odds with it being old. It is thought that the central star of K 1-14 is probably
    a visual binary. As perhaps suspected there is not a lot of research on K 1-14, so many PN so little time but there
    are some thoughts that it may be similar to the Soccerball PN Kronenberger 61 (http://www.gemini.edu/node/11656). T
    he distance to K 1-14 would appear to be of the order of 5780 pc from GAIA DR2 or 4870 from the H-Alpha method.
    The central star is however relatively faint at around 16.1 so the GAIA DR 2 parallax method may have some errors in it.

K 1-14 maybe a bit of a challenge to find and although there are drawings of it with a 27” by Uwe and Kent Wallace
    saw it with his 20” it was described as faint. Jack Marling apparently had the first visual observation of it with a 17.5”
    from altitude. Observations suggest an OIII filter is probably best to find this object. Perhaps not surprisingly this object
    is not found in the NSOG Vol 2.

k1-14_pan.jpg

As always give a go and let us know what you find.
    22" Obsession UC
    15" Obsession UC
    Takahashi Mewlon 210
    TMB 130 LW

Nice challenge object, Owen. I observed this planetary back in 1986, also with my 17.5" (same site as Jack Marling) and an OIII (or UHC) was required to see the disc/ring.

I'm curious about the central star. The blue star with the tick marks on the Aladin image is much brighter than 16th magnitude -- close to mag 13.2. Kohoutek mentioned both interior stars in his discovery list, which he reported as m(B) = 13.7 and m(B) = 16.1. But you wouldn't think the fainter red star was the ionizing star.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Yes I too wondered about that. I am wondering if they go the wrong star. I tried to look for a GAIA mag but the conversion from GAIA mags to visual is non trivial, however SkySafari Pro which includes GAIA data converted suggests that star is around 13th mag. I am sure Wouter could give us the exact mag :-)

Owen
    22" Obsession UC
    15" Obsession UC
    Takahashi Mewlon 210
    TMB 130 LW

Ah Steve I just really zoomed in on this image and the bright star is s actually a double and the blue one is a much fainter part of that double pair so yes it may well be around 16th mag. GAIA does split the pair and gives the green mags as around 13.12 for the brighter one and 16 for the fainter one. The other star in the system at the 5 o'clock position is around 15.

Owen
    22" Obsession UC
    15" Obsession UC
    Takahashi Mewlon 210
    TMB 130 LW

There, you solved the riddle yourself Owen. Nice!

Wow,

three stars within the PN, I didn't know that. With 293x I also could not separate the real CS but I think it could be a very tough challenge to do that when I saw the needed zoom level in PanSTARRS.

I just looked to my notes back in 2013. I wrote: [27", 293x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing III] thin, faint ring with different bright ring fragments with 293x; filling best visible with 244x and [OIII], filling brighter to the W; NBP filter brings out less detail
    K1-14.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2