Name: NGC 4945 = ESO 219-024 = LGG 344-001 = PGC 45279
    R.A.: 13h 05m 27.5s
    Dec.: -49° 28' 06" (2000)
    Con: Centaurus
    Type: SBcd; Sy2; ULIRG
    Size: 20'x4'
    Position angle: 43° (SW-NE)
    Magnitude: 8.6V; Surf Br: 13.2 mag/arcmin²

NGC 4945 is the second brightest member of the Centaurus A (NGC 5128) group and lies at a distance of only 11-12 million light years. You might not have heard of it though as it scrapes the horizon (or below) if you live much north of +30° latitude. Certainly an object worthy of any list if you head further south on an observing trip in the future.

James Dunlop discovered this galaxy on 29 Apr 1826 from his backyard observatory in Parramatta, New South Wales (now a suburb of Sydney) with his homemade 9-inch f/12 speculum reflector. This is actually the first galaxy his discovered - on his second night searching for nebulae - along with Centaurus A = NGC 5128! His description reads

"a beautiful long nebula, about 10' long, and 2' broad, forming an angle with the meridian, about 30 [degrees] south preceding and north following; the brightest and broadest part is rather nearer the south preceding extremity than the centre, and it gradually diminishes in breadth and brightness towards the extremeties, but the breadth is much better defined than the length. A small star near the north, and a smaller star near the south extremity, but neither of them is involved in the nebula. I have strong suspicions that the nebula is resolvable into stars, with very slight compression towards the centre. I have no doubt but it is resolvable. I can see the stars, they are merely points. This is north following the first zeta Centauri."

The unusual nickname, the "Tweezers Galaxy" is from its photographic appearance with two linear streaks along the border - though this depends on which photograph you're looking at!

NGC 4945.jpg

NGC 4945 contains one the nearest AGNs, along with NGC 253 and M82, and apparently a bright starburst. It displays unusually strong infrared emission and radio properties that support starburst activity in the nucleus, but X-ray observations favor a Seyfert-powered nucleus. It also host a supermassive 1-2 million solar mass black hole.

My first view was back in 2002, just outside of Sydney through a 12-inch, and most recently a year ago from Tasmania and Coonabarabran in 10x30 IS binoculars and a 25-inch dob. In the same binoculars, it was easily seen as a large, elongated glow just 18' east of 4.8-magnitude Xi 1 Centauri.

More observations...

In 2004 from Costa Rica in a 13.1-inch that I brought along as luggage:
    Beautiful, huge edge-on spiral oriented SW-NE. At 166x, appears ~15'x2' with tapering tips that fade out towards the ends of the extensions. There is only a broad concentration with a gently bulging core, although the surface brightness is somewhat irregular or mottled due to dust. The galaxy fades a bit to the southwest of the core and then brightens slightly further southwest. The northeast extension seems a bit splotchy or mottled.

and in 2008, again from Australia in a 24-inch f/3.7:

Remarkable spiral at 200x, extending southwest to northeast across 2/3 of the 30' field. I didn't take detailed notes on this observation but there was just a broad concentration with no well defined core region. The galaxy is very slightly wider through the center and only tapers towards the tips. Along the south edge, just southwest of center, is a brighter linear streak forming a sharp edge (the dust lane is just beyond). The main body of the galaxy fades a bit in this area and then brightens again further southwest. The major axis appears slightly warped or bent towards the north near the northeast tip, due to a large dust patch that bites a notch into the galaxy. On the south side of the northeast end, some very faint haze is visible.

For a good laugh, I should mention that NGC 4945 has its own techno-funk song with the chorus...

She must be from NGC 4945
    She can't be from this galaxy
    She just like nothin' I've seen before on this planet
    She from NGC 4945, or a similar galaxy; maybe Messier 83?
    And I want her to take me home

As always,

"Give it a go and let us know!
    Good luck and great viewing!"
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; May 4th, 2020 at 12:26 AM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

As mentioned in the song (kidding), supernova 2011ja was burning bright in this galaxy when I observed it from Australia. It was very easy to see in my travel 6" Mak, but the galaxy itself showed no real structural details even in the pristine dark sky.

Hi Steve and All,

Certainly one of the showpieces of the southern sky, unfortunately a bit too low for European observers, but magnificent in Namibian sky.
    A bright galaxy, with a prominent and very defined dark lane.
    The center is not very contrasted, and the west side much hazy than the opposite.
    Report here: http://www.deepsky-drawings.com/ngc-4945/dsdlang/fr

Clear sky (if you can go at, but not yet possible along french quarantine!)
    Bertrand
    http://www.deepsky-drawings.com/

NGC 4945 T508 BL Tivoli Namibie 2008.jpg

For sure one of the highlights in the southern sky Steve. I remember it was one of the first objects I had to lean back and just enjoy, even with a relative small telescope, a 12-inch telescope. I needed two nights to capture all the details.

sketch: 12", 150x, NELM 7m0+ (Namibia)
    NGC4945.jpg
    link to sketch
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Both excellent sketches!
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

A really beautiful galaxy even in a smaller telescope. I can contribute a 4" drawing from Namibia, 2012 (40x, 1.8° filed). No spectacular details in such a small scope but the rich star field adds a lot as well.
    ngc4945_composite_retouch.jpg
    ngc4945_composite_retouch_crop_positive_sterneverkleinern.jpg
    Peter Kiss
    deepeye.hu
    Hungary

I observed this from the winter Star Party on 2-23-2001. Used a 24" f/4.5 at 197x:

Huge slash with an even surface brightness. Fairly bright and elongated 8 to 1 with an ever so slightly brighter core. Averted vision hints at mottling around the center. A couple of 14th-->15th mag stars are superimposed around the center. About 20min in length along the major axis. PA = 60. CALD 83

Other Names: PGC 45279,ESO 219-24,IRAS 13025-4911

Matt Orsie