Thread: Okay, now what...

Okay, now what...

Just pulled both of my mirrors to ship to Carl Zambuto for testing, thinning (from 2" to 1.6"), refigure and recoating. My big guy's going to be down for "up to eight weeks". And am assuming those eight weeks don't include the time needed to ship those mirrors around. So in reality, am thinking up to twelve weeks.

Ouch... This is going to hurt... The good news is this is happening AFTER an epic TSP run last month.

So my scope for the next three months (or more) is going to be an Antares 6" f/6.5 Achromat Refractor.

My question to you fine folks is what am I going to go after.

I usually use this scope for rich field observing from Cherry Springs after I get worn out going after my normal faint stuff earlier in the evening. I've been going after Hicksons and Flat Galaxies. But am sure I'm going to want shift focus to something a bit brighter. My initial thought is bear down on the Herschel 400. I have been half-heartedly working on that for a couple of years now.

Any suggestions out there?
    Lou Behrman
    Ambler, PA

17.5" f/4.1 AstroSystems TeleKit -- "Ursa"
    Zambuto Optics
    6" f/6.5 Antares Achromat

Hi Lou,

Herschel 400 is cool, it's my currently ongoing project. I've seen 366 objects already, most of the missing ones are on Autumn skies.
    There is plenty of good looking galaxies in Ursa Major, globulars in Ophiuchus/Scorpius/Sagittarius etc. that would keep you entertained over the next few months. The aperture you mentioned should show most of them pretty.
    I'm saying - go for it!
    Last edited by Pawel_T; July 19th, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
    13" f/4.6; FS102; Miyauchi Bj100

-------------------------
    "Only he, who knows when to remain silent, talks without harm" (Thomas A. Kempis)

Lou,

One list you do not hear much about anymore is the Orion Star chart Deep Map 600. It has some of the best showpiece objects in the norther sky on it.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Lou,
    I do observe quite similar objects you do with my 15 incher-
    hicksons and flat galaxies,
    Just finished my Herschel 400 Project, which was real fun with my smaller 8 incher i used for about 50% of the objects (other 50% i used my 15 inch obsession) .
    So my suggestion: go with the Herschels!
    Clear skies
    Marc

Another vote for the Herschels. It's a good fun project that'll keep you occupied with a smaller scope while the big one is out of action.
    18" f/4.3 David Lukehurst Dob
    8" f/6 Dark Star Dob
    8x42 binoculars
    100% visual observing

Visual Observing - FJ Astronomy

I'll second the DeepMap list since the back has all the mags listed and stick to mag 9 or brighter range of course for 6" as you would know. I once separated the 512 or so objects that are not double stars or variable stars to find that about 188 of the 512 are not on the Herschel 400 list 1 so by doing deepmap objects you are well up on the Herschel 400 list 1. Number in the prior sentence are approximate numbers, +/- 10 or so but you get the idea. There is a list of about 70 doubles on the back and if you have not done much of that (like myself up to last year) I have found those as a diversion from the hickson class objects but mostly well suited for 6" Refractor. I've observed all but one of those 'red/yellow/green dots' on DeepMap 600 (Ngc7090) and cannot say enough on what a great quick field guide that map is. Recommend it for EVERYONE no matter how advanced they are due to it's all on one page of special paper format. Another guy on this forum that likes the DeepMap 600 list perhaps the most is Steve Gottlieb ;-)
    Last edited by Marko; May 12th, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

Thanks, all...

Had my first session with the 6" this past Friday night.

First, let me say that there's a reason that we always compare our newtonian views to refractors with that old cliche "refractor-like views" statement.

Really...

I'd forgotten how nice the views were through that scope. Jet-black background, pinpoint stars, what's not to like. The view I had of Markarians Chain with the 17 T4 Nagler is still stuck in my brain. At one point 12 galaxies in a single FOV without really trying. Pretty cool...

And the 10 Delos in that refractor... Amazing! I didn't think it was possible for the background to get any darker but it did. Can't wait to get the 14 and 12...

Don't get me wrong, I really missed my big guy. But this was a nice change of pace. Am going to have to start setting this guy up as a second scope during observing sessions after my optics come back. I used to do that quite often but have gotten lazy.

The DeepMap list was a great suggestion, Jimi. Thanks... And Marco, you're absolutely right about a lot of it coming from the Herschel I list. That's a habit I got into a long time ago. I always check to see if observed objects are on other lists. No duplicating efforts here...

The only real downside from that session was lack of tracking. Have been entirely spoiled by the ServoCat on my dob. Was using a UA UniStar mount. A very basic and lightweight Alt-Az mount. I own a CG5 GEM. Will work this coming week to get that back in play.

Again... Thanks for all of your suggestions.
    Last edited by bearkite; May 14th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Lou Behrman
    Ambler, PA

Zambuto Optics

Well Lou, You know my big is a 6" refractor so I always have a great list to observe. I'll just echo here waht others mentioned, Herschel 400 and DeepMAp 600 but, one other handy little book of charts, S&T's Pocket Sky Atlas. It has never let me down.

Dan

Lou
    Latly I have not been able to haul my 24" Starmaster w/ Zambuto Mirror. My second scope is a Williams Optics 132mm.
    The lists mentioned are great and you will be presently suprizesd with the small scope .
    You get a new perspective on objects , the wider field is great and a lot of times you get multiple objects in the field of view.the absolute pin point stars and velvety background all pluses.
    But when you go back to rule number one ( appature always wins )
    Enjoy the smaller scope
    Dan

Why leave it at the Herschel 400? Do what I did and go for the Whole Big Thing, the 2500. Best project I ever undertook.

I suggest "The List" by Vic Menard on his website:
    http://homepage.mac.com/vicmenard/te...es/TheList.pdf
    and if you send your email address to pensack1@gmail.com, I'll send you my list of the "Top 500 DSOs for small scopes"
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

Give it a few months: http://www.deepskyforum.com/showthre...thing-to-share, perhaps the end of August.

Currently I am compiling the observation guides for 8-10" scopes. Along with objects I deem bright enough, they include all the DSO's of:

- Burnham's Celestial Handbook
    - Herschel 400
    - Herschel 400II
    - Messier
    - Lacaille
    - Dunlop
    - Deep Map 600
    - Clark's catalogue
    - Caldwell catalogue

Of course with matching tours for Autostar, NexRemote and EQTour (via EQMOD) & AstroPlanner planfiles. That and all carbon stars up to mag. 9.5.
    After completion of the 8-10" guides it's time for the 5-6" ones. In the mean time the new website for distribution is being set up.

Or, of course, you could go for the complete (12"+) version. Read more about the current object tally, unlikely to change much, at http://www.clearskies.eu/en/faq/faq.htm

Cheers,

Victor
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.

Ursa's mirror is on it's way home.

Just surfaced in Laurel, MD and should be on my desk by Noon tomorrow.

I have to say that at first I was enjoying my time with the smaller refractor. But as the murk of summer (this summer especially) rolled on I was becoming more and more frustrated with the lack of aperture.

And for those wondering, why the long delay? The mirror took more than the simple refigure. Basically was a ground up rebuild. Found some pretty severe strain and reannealed. A couple of dings in the face (reground the face to new curve). So with the additional steps added almost two months to the process. Long wait, but am anxious to see the results.

Am planning first light sessions for the coming weeks. For those interested in my first light list check it out at Chesmont's site.

Can't wait...
    Last edited by bearkite; October 3rd, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Lou Behrman
    Ambler, PA

Zambuto Optics