Thread: HALO or FLIERS

HALO or FLIERS

"haloes are a quite common phenomenon in PNe, having been found in 60 per cent of elliptical PNe "
    https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/20....417C/abstract

How common are FLIERS with PNe?
    Can they be seen in 16" scope and dark sites.

I have looked at both Uwe Glahn and Reiner Vogel sites looking for information as well as web searches.

Some PNe are NGC 6826 NGC 7662 IC 4593 and a list of approximately 50 others.
    Thank you
    Mark
    16" f/4.5

Well, certainly they can be seen in NGC7009, the Saturn Nebula. They're quite visible and detailed in my 12.5" at ~500x.
    I can't recall 6826 or 7662 as having visual FLIERS, though the outer shells can be spotted, but perhaps my scope is too small.
    I have seen the "ears" in NGC3242, however.
    The key is to wait until the objects culminate, use very high powers in good seeing, and observe from, preferably, high altitude.
    Or have a scope like Jimi's.

They are common in planetary nebulae, but mostly photographic with various forms of enhanced image processing.
    If your skies are at least m.21.4 or so, and you have the seeing to support 400-700x, they would be something to look for.
    Start with NGC7009. If they're easy there, try for the harder ones. You've got me on a mission, now.
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles