PN G054.1-12.1, PK 054-12.1, ARO 37

Planetary Nebula

Delphinus

R.A. 20h15m08.9s

Dec. +12°42'15" (2000)

Magnitude: 10.50

Size: 16"

CS 12.8

As a last hurrah perhaps for the summer constellations I thought I would choose the small, and often overlooked,
    planetary nebula NGC 6891 in Delphinus as this week’s OOTW. NGC 6891 was discovered visually by Ralph Copeland
    in 1884 at Dun Echt observatory in Scotland but rather than using the normal visual method of looking through an
    eyepiece he discovered it by using what he called a Secchi prism, basically an objective prism over the aperture of
    the 6.1” refractor there, so it was discovered from its spectrum. He seems to have found three planetary nebulae by
    this method. However, this was still a visual operation as photography at the time was not yet up to the task of
    recording the spectra. Copeland was surveying the Milky Way to see what interesting objects he might find using
    this technique. NGC 6891 belongs to the exclusive group of triple shelled planetary nebulae.

NGC_6891hst.jpg

The nebula seems toconsist of an inner shell, an outer shell and a halo. The shells are not aligned suggesting some form of binary
    nucleus, although no binary CSPN is seen. The central star is not that hot compared to many CSPN at around 50000K
    and has a mass or perhaps 0.75 solar. Perhaps surprisingly for such a cool star it is classified as a [WC] type spectrally,
    although more recent attempts at classifying it suggest a spectral type of O3 ib (f*). The distance is thought to be about
    3.8kpc, and if at this distance the nebulae would be perhaps 4800 years old, although GAIA DR2 suggests a much closer
    distance of 2.5 kpc. There appear to be some question marks over the various distance measurements to NGC 6891 and
    these could be due to the fact that the nebula is expanding rather slowly, at about 7km/s and the expansion parallax’s
    may have some errors in them NGC 6891 appears to be part of the thin disk population and appears to be showing some
    mild signs of interaction with the local ISM. Like many planetary nebulae there appears to be a jet incorporated in the shell
    which has produced FLIERS.

Given its relative brightness NGC 6891 should be visible in quite small instruments as a stellar point. However larger i
    nstruments should show a central disk and perhaps the outer shell as well. It does respond well to high power and with
    a relatively bright central star that should also show well. My observations of it on a relatively poor night for transparency
    but relatively steady with a 15” (37cm) Dobsonian at 330x times did show this but higher power on a driven system may
    show more detail. Given its discovery method it may also be interesting to examine it with a grating to see what kind of
    spectra it shows. When or not the faint outer halo is visible in much larger instruments may be a matter for debate.

ngc6891.jpg

So Give it a go and let us know what you see
    22" Obsession UC
    15" Obsession UC
    Takahashi Mewlon 210
    TMB 130 LW

Hi, here's my observation from 6/8/2008: Ngc 6891 is a planetary nebula in Delphinus; magnitude: 10.5 ; size:16" ; small ; roundish ; uniform surface brightness; bright central star observed ; 3.5 mm eyepiece at 400x with my 14.5 Starstructure dob f /4.3 ngc 6891.jpg
    Raul Leon
    14.5 Starstructure Dobsonian f/4.3

http://thestarsketcher.blogspot.com/

My own observation, from last [S]century[/S] [S]decade[/S] year:

08/03-08/04/19
    LINSLAW POINT
    SUNSET: 8:34 PM
    MOON: 3 days (set at 10:36 PM; 14% illuminated)
    SEEING: 7
    TRANSPARENCY: 6
    SQM: 21.54 (west, CrB), 21.42 (Pegasus)
    NELM: not checked
    WEATHER CONDITIONS: temps mid 50s, cool, slight breeze, no dew
    OTHERS PRESENT: DB, AG

All observations: 12.5″ f/5 Discovery truss-tube Dobsonian, 14mm ES 82˚ eyepiece (112x, 0.7˚ TFOV) or 10mm TeleVue Delos (157x, 0.5˚ TFOV) unless otherwise noted

2:08
    NGC 6891 (Del): This little planetary nebula lies between the diamond of Delphinus and Altair. It’s very small–no more than 10” across–and very bright, with a well-defined circular disk. There’s no trace of annularity, and I’m not sure there’s a halo/fringe; the whole thing seems just an “out of focus star”. The central star is visible and fairly bright, maybe 13th magnitude. The nebula’s in a very busy field. Due N of the nebula by 8’ is a 9.5-magnitude star; another of 9.5 magnitude is F the nebula by 11’. P the nebula by 1’ is the brightest (12th magnitude) in a tiny grouping of stars P and very slightly N; these extend N-S and a bit to the NP of the nebula; there’s a whole bunch of stars in this. There’s another tiny knot of stars NF the nebula by 5’; 3.5’ due F the nebula is a 12th-magnitude star. Another somewhat nebulous looking group of faint stars lies P somewhat S of the nebula by 12’, and this links up with the group due P the nebula; there’s a long clumpy train of faint stars that runs along that train until the knot 12’ from the nebula. With the OIII filter, the nebula’s size and character don’t change much, but the filter makes the nebula almost glaringly bright in the much darker field. There may be a bit of outer envelope visible, but this isn’t seen with certainty.

Last time observed through the 25x100 binoculars (with the OIII filters),
    and through the 6" F/5 achro on the 31st October, 2013 at the magnifications up to 188x:
    Small disc best seen through the 6" F/5 achro with the 10nm OIII visual filter, the central star not noticed.

This is a very nice planetary nebula for the small apertures, and easily found in the area of skies so rich on the candies for the observing eyes.

Thank you for having chosen this object of the week,
    Jiri
    Clear skies, JG

Main field of interest: Large galactic diffuse nebulae

Very interesting PN, thanks for the detailed description Owen. I could resolve all three shells with the 27-inch but not without having some trouble and difficulties with it.

I wrote:
    27", 419x, NELM 7m0+, Seeing IV: round shell around CS which is steadily visible with averted vision, brightness-level indicated but shell not clearly separated
    27", 837x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing II: shell now separated, separation need high magnification and very steady seeing, shell structure better defined with [OIII]
    NGC6891.jpg
    home

Later I tried the fainter outer halo because of my halo-project.
    My notes are:
    27", 172x, [OIII], NELM 7m0+: with low magnification core and shell merges as one inner and bright detail and are not separately visible; much fainter halo suspected with 113x and [OIII] and better visible with 172x; round with 3x-4x of the diameter of the shell (around 1,2'); S side (filling) a little bit better defined
    NGC6891_Halo.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

One of my favorites.
    I view this at ~500x in the 12.5" and it displays a lot of detail at that magnification. Kid Orion should bump the magnification to see the details inside the nebula.
    I see an oval inner section inside a round outer glow. It reminds me of NGC7009 (no, it doesn't look the same), where the details inside the outer glow don't show up until you are over 400x.
    The central star is so bright (m.12.5) that it obscures details in the nebula until you get up there in magnification. At the high magnification, I do not use an O-III filter.
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

Do you have a tracking Dob Don as I would have difficulties with no tracking at that power. Even at 340x with an Ethos it still travels through the field of view far too quickly.

Owen
    22" Obsession UC
    15" Obsession UC
    Takahashi Mewlon 210
    TMB 130 LW

My eyepiece at 500x has a 20' field, so it takes 1-1/3 minute for an object to cross the field. I get at least a minute to watch an object between scope nudges.
    Hold your breath that long to see how long a minute is.
    And, my scope moves very smoothly without any backlash, so 500x is still easy.
    If I use a 600x eyepiece with 1/2 the apparent field, then the object is in the field a very short time. It's still doable, but less enjoyable.
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

Don, a 20' field at 500x implies your eyepiece has an apparent field of nearly 167°! (⅓° x 500).

Are you hitting 500x with a 3.7mm Ethos? If so, the 110° apparent field would yield an actual field of ~13'.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Steve,
    Sorry 'bout my math, you're right, it's 13', and it is a 3.7mm Ethos.
    It's my most-used 6mm that is 20'.
    So, close to a 1 minute scan.
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

Hi All,

I was probably a bit sleepy, and I discovered anly now this OOTW.
    Here are my notes: http://www.deepsky-drawings.com/ngc-6891-2/dsdlang/fr
    And the corresponding drawing.

Clear sky
    Bertrand
    http://www.deepsky-drawings.com/

NGC 6891 T635 BL 2017 09 26.jpg