Thread: WeBo 1, anyone?

WeBo 1, anyone?

Hello DSF,

I learned about the planetary nebula WeBo 1 through a Facebook post by astrophotographer Anis Abdul of Austin, TX. It was in his photograph of the Heart and Soul region (so many interesting things there!). Apparently, it was discovered in 2002 by Ronald F Webbink on the DSS plates, and followed up by Howard E Bond in H-alpha and OIII, confirming that it is a planetary nebula. Discovery paper: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1086/344809

Photographically, it looks really damn cool!
    https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/w...1205_webo1.jpg
    [not sure where this picture is from, but it was shared by Anis]

I tried looking at it with my 18" three nights ago. I had poor seeing, good darkness, and moderately good transparency. I would say the conditions accounted for a "good Bortle 2, but not quite a Bortle 1" sky. I count this as a negative observation; here is what my logbook says:

"Negative. Unfiltered, there was an elongated glow around the central star, but it could just be starglow from the tight double. It was impossible to distinguish from the starglow [whether or not there was real nebulosity]. Did not respond strongly to UHC or OIII"

I certainly did not see a circular halo like you see on the POSS II. However, judging by the POSS II blue plate, it certainly seems to be within the reach of some of the larger dobs owned by this forum's members. Has anyone viewed this planetary? I'm curious to read your observations!

Clear Skies!
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Logged two positive observations.

2014, October 18., 27", 293x, [OIII], Seeing V, NELM 7m0+: brighter CS shining through the filter; PN visible as an elongated glow; not easy but clearly positive visible

2020, January 21., 27", 293x, [OIII], Seeing IV, NELM 7m0+: nothing visible without filter; with 172x + [OIII] laminar glow within a small star group, confusion with star group excluded; with 293x glow steadily visible with averted vision, 1:2-1:3 elongation, beside CS another faint star is shining through the PN glow

sketch: 27", 293x, [OIII], Seeing IV, NELM 7m0+
    WeBo1.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe Glahn View Post
    Logged two positive observations.

2014, October 18., 27", 293x, [OIII], Seeing V, NELM 7m0+: brighter CS shining through the filter; PN visible as an elongated glow; not easy but clearly positive visible

2020, January 21., 27", 293x, [OIII], Seeing IV, NELM 7m0+: nothing visible without filter; with 172x + [OIII] laminar glow within a small star group, confusion with star group excluded; with 293x glow steadily visible with averted vision, 1:2-1:3 elongation, beside CS another faint star is shining through the PN glow

sketch: 27", 293x, [OIII], Seeing IV, NELM 7m0+
    WeBo1.jpg
    home
    Very impressive, Uwe! So I gather you too did not see the "ring" halo that is seen on the POSS image, but rather a horizontal, elongated streak around the stars. I thought I saw something similar, but I did not differentiate it from the background star glow, which you confirmed ("confusion with star group excluded"). Maybe next time, with better transparency and seeing, I should be able to confirm it.

Clear Skies!
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society