Thread: Sharpless 2-216 in Perseus

Sharpless 2-216 in Perseus

Last week was the first time I saw this Planetary Nebula. It's the second closest to us and is huge at a 1.6 degree diameter. I first tried with an 80mm finder with a UHC filter but no dice. My skies were about 20.8 SQM. I did pick up the brightest NE section in my 22" scope at 128x with a UHC. This portion passed between stars SAO 39734 and SAO 39710 and went across the entire field. I spent about 20 minutes under a hood from this location to get the best views that I could. It was pretty challenging.

I was wondering if others have seen this in less aperture and wider-field scopes (or finders (:> ).
    Last edited by morsie; October 21st, 2020 at 01:11 PM.

Saw it with a 20" at 73x + O-III filter back in 2006: "Caught a faint hazy streak but only when moving the telescope back and forth. There is an arc of 3 stars below it. Averted vision scale 3 at best. Can not hold it with direct vision."
    15" f4.5 Obsession Classic
    4" f8.6 Televue 102

I logged two observations with 16-inch, but the best view was with an 4-inch and around 5° field. I wrote: easy, direct vision, crescent shape with sharp edge to the NE and diffuse glow to the W side

sketch: 4", 21x, [OIII], NELM 7m0+
    Sh2-216.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Observed on December 4th, 2019, Bortle 4 skies,
    through the 6" F/5 achro refractor, eyepieces f=25mm and 32mm, H-Beta Astronomik filter.

A very faint large disc became visible when moving the telescope across the field.

Other objects observed on that night: Sh2-223, Sh2-224 (SNR), The Flaming Star Nebula, and the Jelly Fish Nebula.

Clear skies,
    Jiri
    Clear skies, JG

Main field of interest: Large galactic diffuse nebulae