Thread: SNR G206.9+2.3 in Monoceros

SNR G206.9+2.3 in Monoceros

Last new moon I had a chance to start an attempt on the SNR G206.9+2.3 in Monoceros.

The object is a relative unknown SNR and lies in a triangle east of the Cone-Nebula and Rosette-Nebula around the mag 7 stars HD 49711 and HD 49367. The center of the 0.9°x0.6° large SNR is located around RA: 6h 49.0', DEC: +06° 20.4'. It should not be mistaken with the much larger Monoceros-Loop SNR directly W of this SNR.

Without expecting to see anything, I was surprised to see the main arches without difficulties at all. Brightest part was the southern arch.

I nice picture was made by Daniel Pölzl.

At least, I wish all the best for the new year to you.

sketch: 27", 172x, [OIII], NELM 6m5+, Seeing III
    AJG5.jpg
    home
    1018x1440 version
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Hello Uwe,

this is an amazing sketch!

Thank you for having chosen this SNR,
    and with the best wishes for the New Year,
    Jiri
    Clear skies, JG

Main field of interest: Large galactic diffuse nebulae

After an unsuccessful attempt a year ago I gave it another try this week under better conditions with my 20" Dobsonian at 256x magnification with O-III filter.

At first, I tried the southern arc, which is the brightest one on photos. Starting at a sharp triangle of 10-11 mag stars, I was able to see a long, small and curved arc with averted vision. Moving back and forth along this arc was a lot of fun! I observed Sh2-224 the weekend before, but the southern arc of SNR G206.9+2.3 actually was easier.

Then I also saw another filament on the eastern to south-eastern side, which was fainter, and a shorter filament on the northern side, which was the most difficult one. Additionally, I tried an arc on the western side, but was unsuccessful there.

Please find attached my sketch.

Clear skies,

Robin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like Robin, I was encouraged to go after this supernova remnant thanks to Uwe posting his drawing. I observed it twice this winter and both times I looked for it in my 16-inch using 105x and an O-III filter. And each time, I came away with the impression that there was a phantom-like line that would come and go as my eye passed over it. It also seemed to get brighter towards the west -- right at a little Aries-shaped star pattern of three faint stars. The first night I saw that, I thought I was just seeing the glow of the three stars. But by closely studying the attached image, I could see that the O III emissions just happen to get more intense right there. It was a tough observation for me, but after having the same thing happen to me twice, I'm confident I saw it. I'd catch a surprisingly strong glow right at that triangle that would slowly fade to the east.

Scott H.

Mono SNR marked.jpg
    Image Credit: Daniel Pölzl
    Contributing Editor for Sky & Telescope
    8x56, 10x50, 12x60, 15x70 binoculars
    130mm, 150mm, 10-inch SCT, 16-inch ES Dob