Thread: IFN from Polaris to M81-82

IFN from Polaris to M81-82

I've managed a most marvelous observation that I will remember the rest of my life: following the arc of Integrated Flux Nebula or galactic cirrus from beyond Polaris to beyond M81-82. I was able to trace back and forth, through the bright star co Cam, through the beautiful double HR 4892-3 and of course the M81-82 area. I began using the IFN as a star-hop, only call it a 'IFN-hop'.

The nights recently have been marvelous, SQM of 21.8. In fact, my heart sank when I first began inspecting the area for new IFNs (I found three more - they are detailed on my Herschel's Ghosts webpage) because literally every field had sky background variation, most likely IFN, in such varying detail that I could spend the rest of my life sketching it all. There are more IFN than I have yet to sketch.

Next up is to try binoculars then if successful, the unaided-eye.

IFN from Polaris to M81-82.jpg

My Herschel's Ghosts webpage: http://bbastrodesigns.com/Herschels%20Ghosts.html

Mel Bartels

incredible observation Mel.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Hello Mel,

this is a very nice observation and sketch!

I have been in this area with my binoculars in 2020, and your sketch confirms my observation:
    The stream crosses the Angel Nebula MW2 in Draco,
    then the stream bifurcates in Camelopardalis across the "Little Lyra" asterism - your CO Cam,
    and finally its last section is the LBN 627 towards the Polaris.

I have some fast sketches of the segments of this IFN, but not consolidated, maybe a good reason to do now.

Thank you very much for sharing,
    Jiri
    Clear skies, JG

Main field of interest: Large galactic diffuse nebulae

Hello all,

the amazing sketch of the IFN by Mel Bartels has been a god reason to consolidate my binocular observing sessions of 2020 in this area of skies.

CHGC.jpg

This are of skies is dominated by the Polaris Flare MW1, and by the Volcano Nebula MW3 in Ursa Major. Under the best skies over my backyard, the central are of the Polaris Flare becomes even visible with unaided eyes.

The bright Volcano Nebula MW3 reveals a faint extension MBM 27-29 towards Camelopardalis, which eventually shrinks into the condensations.

Another faint brightening is around the Coddington’s galaxy (COD), followed by a faint filament towards the Angel Nebula MW2.
    The Angel Nebula is embedded in a glow, and difficult to extract with the binoculars, but confirmed through the 6” F/5 refractor.

New to me have been the both, but actually fairly bright bifurcating filaments, extending from the Angel Nebula to the Polaris Flare MW1. The Lynds LBN 627, seems to be the only cataloged wide condensation in one of the filaments.

The Polaris Flare offers through the binoculars four or five condensations within its large extent.

When observing the Lynds bright nebulae in Cepheus in another observing program, I came across the MBM nebulae at NE of the Cepheus constellation, and found out, that they mark two separate filaments pointing towards the Polaris Flare, and in fact, these both filaments are regarded as belonging to the Polaris Flare IFNs complex.

Visually, the area of skies within 30° around the Polaris, looks like being dominated with these filaments, which share the Polaris as a nodal point.

Another filament is extending from Kappa DRA towards Beta UMI, the bright condensation on Beta UMI might be a foreground ionized hydrogen, also confirmed by the MDW Survey.

This filament bends then towards Delta UMA, and the Mel Bartels Bowl of Big Dipper Nebula seems to be its condensation.

Finally, the dashed arc shows the position of a thin SNR shock front, so far not observed through the binoculars.

Thank you for reading,
    JG
    Clear skies, JG

So, I went out under 21.8 skies and managed to see substantial parts of the M81-81 to Polaris IFN with 7x50 binocs. Not quite as much or as detailed as J Gardavsky's inspiring observations and sketching. Then I began to look with my unaided-eyes. I have to block out the extraneous light like the Zodiacal and Milky Way to the west - way too bright - destroys my night vision really. Over a good period of time I managed to see some sections of the IFN. Note that M81-82 were faintly visible as a fuzzy elongated patch. I strongly suspect that others have seen this. For example, several times at the Oregon Star Party experienced observers have commented that they can see the Milky Way stretch all the way into Polaris.

IFN from Polaris to M81-82 unaided eye.jpg

Hello Mel,

this is a very interesting observation of the M81/M82 with the unaided eyes! I will try it.

On a few nights in 2020, I have noticed for the first time, that the Polaris Flare is visible with unaided eyes, and as it can be used as a visual qualifier for the the night skies, next to other DSOs I am using.

In fact, it have been your inspiring sketches of the Herschell's Ghost, to get me interested into the IFNs.

Best regards,
    Jiri
    Clear skies, JG