Thread: Seyfert's Sextet

Seyfert's Sextet

Hello,

Few days (or nights) ago I pointed my 13" f/4.6 towards the famous Seyfert's Sextet for the first time. The conditions were average, LM in Serpens Caput I estimated at 6.0-6.1 mag, seeing and transparency could have been better as well...
    I used Delos 10, Pentax XW7 and TeleVue 2x barlow (1.25"). I spent nearly half an hour, trying different magnifications and I could confirm only 2 brightest members of the group - NGC6027 and NGC6027E. The best view I had at 214x (XW7) and 300x (Delos 10 barlowed).

Guys, I wonder what experience you have with this object? What aperture is needed to see all six members?

Cheers,

Pawel
    13" f/4.6; FS102; Miyauchi Bj100

-------------------------
    "Only he, who knows when to remain silent, talks without harm" (Thomas A. Kempis)

Hi Pawal,

Based on my experience, you need quite a bit of magnification and some more aperture, such as your upcoming 18". The key is tight seeing as the group is really compact. I've successfully observed it several times. My best was at 881x with my 22" reflector, but think it is doable at 600x.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Hi Pawel,

I tried it several times with my 16". Most results were 4 members. Galaxy "d" was always hard to detect, because of its small expansion. Only at one night on the "Small Paranal" (EdelweiƟspitze, Austrian Alps, altitude 8435', NELM 7m+, Seeing I) I thought that I could see the faint tail NE to "a". This was at 450x, but the observation was absolutely hard and not sure at all. (see sktech with 16")

With 27" it is very easy to see all 6 parts (4 galaxies, 1 tail, 1 discordant galaxy) under very good transparency and seeing (see sketch with 27")

Like Alvin says seeing is very important to resolve all members. For "e" and the tail on "a" you need also the best seeing you can get. When everything is at its best you can perhaps see all parts with 20" or like Alvin with 22".
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Alvin, Uwe - thanks for your replies!
    It looks like I was trying to kill a tiger with a mouse trap...
    Will try some time later, with a bigger gun and under better skies.
    13" f/4.6; FS102; Miyauchi Bj100

-------------------------
    "Only he, who knows when to remain silent, talks without harm" (Thomas A. Kempis)

Hey Guys
    I got the opportunity to observe Seyfert's out in West Texas with Jimi and his 48in. It was in June of 2011 and we had an Avg, to Better than Avg at moment seeing. We decided to slew over to Seyfert's in one of those "better than Avg moments" when the seeing stayed steady for 20min or so. Guys Im here to tell you there is no substitute for apature with this object! It was "one" of those times when you sit there in awe! The view was equal to the hubble photo that S&T published last year, with all components clearly visible and steady. I Hope you guys get an opportunity to view it like I did that Night!!!!

Michael Sowell,
    Panama City Fl.
    Obsession 25 F/5,
    TT 18 F/5.6 Custom

www.darkskiesapparel.com

Thanks for the reminder Pawel! I can see that I badly need to re-observe this group in dark skies. My only 18" observation caught just the two brighter Northern members and the A member just south of that pair. That was in 5/23/2009 and my detection skills have improved since then. I had used 318x with no ParaCor and the TakLe 5mm in the 18" f/3.7 so that's 1.35mm exit pupil. This is exactly the sort of object I need those darn TMB 6 and 8mm eyepieces for but no word just yet. I'll cross fingers but will try this summer in any case. Thanks, Marko.
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

Hi Pawel,

I've seen all six only once with my 28, and the smallest component (e) was really difficult to see. It was at the Oregon Star Party a few years ago and 711x gave me the best view -I've posted my sketch below. I'd observed Seyfert's Sextet many times with my 20 inch previously but my best result was 5 members.

Hickson79_sketch.JPG
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Folks,

If you've read my June 2011 column in S&T, you'll see that I spotted all of them with a 14.5-inch, and some of them with smaller scopes. I'd observed the "sextet" in a 36-inch 25 years earlier.

I was rather surprised to learn that there's been much incredulity about this. I've never observed something that I couldn't also show to others (some of whom see the objects more easily than I) but that night I was alone, so there's no outside verification. OTOH, I can spend a lot more time studying objects when I observe alone. I'm glad no one told me this was impossible ahead of time, or I wouldn't have tried.

You're welcome to believe me or not, as you see fit. I do try to avoid using averted imagination.

Clear skies, Sue

Hi Sue,

I believe your observation in your 14.5"...as you do have the patience to sit and wait for details to pop out. I notice that the longer I sit at the eyepiece for something, I see more.

Lately, I've been hit and scoot - I need to slow down a little bit.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country